• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Yama 山

Hey you, time to share my new setup.

About the name: Yama 山 - the Japanese name for Mountain. Why in Japanese? Well i like the Japanese culture. The samurais, Yamaha, Mitsubishi, Dragon Ball, Nokia* and all that stuff. Plus the names in English (mountain) or in Portuguese (montanha) were just dull...

Setup

Start:
24/04/2017

Aquarium:
90x45x45x10 with acrylic ice white sheet in the background

Stand:
DIY metal structure stand

Light:
DIY aluminum frame with 5630 led strip with 2400 lumens/m - total 11000 lumens (theoretical) 50w consumption (again theoretical)
DIY hang that can be regulated in height 40cm for maintenance (see photos)
Led timmer controller TC420 - controls light and solenoide

Filtrer:
Eheim professionel 4+ 600 with 5kg Equo Stilla + original wool
Lily pipes in/out Hinterfeld 17mm

Substrate:
Ada Amazônia 36L
15 kg lava rock

CO2:
2kg bottle
Dual stage regulator
Camozzi Solenoide
ADA check valve
ADA precision valve
Do!Aqua 40mm diffusor

Temperature:
Hydor external heater 200w 25º

Hardscape:
Green Shale (I'm not sure if its shale or schist or something because its very heavy, have some quartz crystals and its hard has a... well, has a rock!)

Ferts:
DIY ADA

Plants:
5x Hemianthus Micranthemoides
5x Hemianthus Callitrichoides
2x Gratiola Viscidula
3x Glossostigma Elatinoides
3x Eleocharis Acicularis Mini
1x Staurogyne Repens
1x Alternanthera Reineckii Mini

Fish/Shrimps:
50 Hasemania Nana
Otocinclus Affinis
Neocaridina Davidi var. Red Sakura

Photos:

Hardscape

View attachment 34085423882_dea011c9d0_o.jpg07 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

View attachment 34111912001_b829299d52_o.jpg08 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

34210289536_85c18774f5_o.jpg
Yama - dia 1 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

I will make a video of the plantation next week!

I know the hardscape isn't perfect but the intention is to have a nice and green aquarium to enjoy. Its not suppose to be a contest layout ;)

* I know that Nokia is from Finland, it was a joke! Stop judging me! :rage:

Abraço! :happy:

Last edited:
That character is actually more often read as San although some Japanese pronounce it differently with a Z sound. It's adapted from the Chinese who read and write it the same way.

Read as sun as in that hot big ball in space.

Hello
Its a nice setup.Cant wait to see it all filled in.
For the plant melt you can lift the lily pipe up during the night or add an air stone on timer.I had big melts on carpeting plants few times with new Amazonia and made a big difference increasing the oxygen levels.It is too loaded and the plants melted from the roots up.Strange it only happened to the carpeting plants tho all else had no problems.
Regards Konsa

Hello
Its a nice setup.Cant wait to see it all filled in.
For the plant melt you can lift the lily pipe up during the night or add an air stone on timer.I had big melts on carpeting plants few times with new Amazonia and made a big difference increasing the oxygen levels.It is too loaded and the plants melted from the roots up.Strange it only happened to the carpeting plants tho all else had no problems.
Regards Konsa

Thanks Konsa for the compliment and the answer.

I will try that. I also was advised to check my kh/gh, tomorrow i will make some tests. Its not likely to be hardness problems cause I have another planted tank with amazonia and had no problems at all. You can see it on my signature (Red Canyon).

Abraço

Well, cuba, glosso and reinecki melted completely...

Yesterday replaced them for Monte carlo, helferi and ranunculus from other tank.

But after stabilize I will replace them for the original plan.

Will post a photo later.

Abraço

That character is actually more often read as San although some Japanese pronounce it differently with a Z sound. It's adapted from the Chinese who read and write it the same way.

Read as sun as in that hot big ball in space.

As a stand-alone character, or when used as part of a place or family name, it is actually read as 'yama'. The reading 'san' is only used when the character is used as a suffix, such as Fuji-san.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a stand-alone character, or when used as part of a place or family name, it is actually read as 'yama'. The reading 'san' is only used when the character is used as a suffix, such as Fuji-san.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought so too... but my base was google translator...

Yesterday photo with the replantation.

34700488285_f3f2d94469_o.jpg
Dia 10 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

Abraço

Precisely my point because it'd be more likely to have a name of its own than just be a noun.

I'm an Oriental by the way if it's not immediately obvious from my profile photo. ;)

Todays fotos:

Whats left from Reinecki and Glosso:

View attachment 34768492126_21e7e81649_o.jpgDSC_0080 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

View attachment 34808394225_4724ec0f36_o.jpgDSC_0085 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

Red Sakuras:

View attachment 34808279095_cd28bf97cf_o.jpgDSC_0088 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

Gratiola Viscidula:

View attachment 34645681772_116f0fc57b_o.jpgDSC_0089 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

View attachment 34808166095_913e125f75_o.jpgDSC_0090 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

And the most important:

33998367703_02d6751971_o.jpg
DSC_0112 by Gonçalo Silva, no Flickr

Abraço

I'm quite tempted to do a similar concept with one of my new tanks since it's less hassle than a Dutch or heavily planted jungle.

I'm quite tempted to do a similar concept with one of my new tanks since it's less hassle than a Dutch or heavily planted jungle.

I had an heavily planted jungle before this one and that was one of the reasons for the changed... No wood, no shadows, no moss, basically carpets and open space ;).

I forgot to add that I actually am quite against open Iwagumi style scapes because coming from an animal welfare / protection background, I feel it's a very cruel kind of prison with no shade or shelter and a bright light from above.

I do appreciate a well laid out Iwagumi though so if I try one, it's going to be with little caves at least.

The same also goes for why I like jungle scapes. Lots of hiding places. Happy fishes are nice fishes.

Well I think that depends on the type of fish. And in that type the species, and the companion they have. If I put 10 neon and some angel fishes they will stress for sure if no hiding places are supplied, but with no predators I don't think they will mind.

My plan for this aquarium is 50 hasemania nana, some shrimps and some otos. The resilient shrimps are there already, next some crs, and then the shoal.

Back