• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tap water direct to the tank with filters running?

Madhav

Finally I too did it....

Thought the Filter is not turned on after cleaning and pumped a pail of tap water into the tank then realized the eheim actually is running. I immediately added Prime direct to the tank water.

tank is Juwel 5ft, full with healthy plants..

Do I need to worry anything?

No

This is my usual water change routine, use Python system to vacuum & drain tank (heater off, filter running on low), then refill with Python (direct from tap) adding Prime as I start the refill - once tank is refilled I return filter to full power etc

Note when doing this, it's important to add sufficient Prime for the entire tank volume, rather than just the refill water volume (Seachem offers some discussion on this on their site in the FAQ & forum)

No

This is my usual water change routine, use Python system to vacuum & drain tank (heater off, filter running on low), then refill with Python (direct from tap) adding Prime as I start the refill - once tank is refilled I return filter to full power etc

Note when doing this, it's important to add sufficient Prime for the entire tank volume, rather than just the refill water volume (Seachem offers some discussion on this on their site in the FAQ & forum)

I usually add prime to the pail of water before I dump a pump into the pail.
Does Prime offers any additional benefits if we add excess amount to the tank water?
For me, it just a dechlorinator. I will add generously but definitely not considering the whole tank volume.

I will add generously but definitely not considering the whole tank volume
You only need to add the tank volume of prime if you put water straight in your tank via hose pipe/python/bucket.

If you dechlorinate in a container first you only need to add dechlorinator for the volume of your container.

This is what I always do. The topic was an accident.
Generally you will probably get away with it. The chlorine in the water will quickly react with organics in the water (note that organics includes waste organics, useful bacteria and fish !!) and not be an issue. However if there is excess chlorine or even worse chloramine, due to water supply issues, then there is a real danger you could sterilise you tank (and fish).

Link to post here where someone lost £600 worth off fish due to the belief he didn't need to use dechlorinator.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/seachem-prime.32926/#post-349744

This is my usual water change routine, use Python system to vacuum & drain tank (heater off, filter running on low),

can I ask why (and this is not the first time iv heard this) but why is it necessary to turn the heater off whilst doing a water change?

why is it necessary to turn the heater off whilst doing a water change?
Couple of reasons.
- So you don't accidentally thermally shock a hot heater with cold water.
- So if exposed during low water doesn't over heat (and crack when water is back).
- So if you do break the heating during water change you are not electrocuted. :hungover:

- So if you do break the heating during water change you are not electrocuted. :hungover:

I think this should have been first on the list Ian haha

if the new water added is close to temperature of the water in the tank ,and heater is still below water level after draining off 50 % of the tank ,then I have always left my heater on.
I turn off both filters lest spray bars mounted near the surface spray water everywhere.
I always try and add new water that is a bit warmer rather than cooler.

I think this should have been first on the list Ian haha

Especialy with the stainless steel versions.. These don't crack, but the sealing from the plastic cover overheats and in worst case scenario starts leaking. A few drops is enough. When it heats up it evapporates inside the steel tube, moist air still is a good electrical conductor. The danger is, it also functions as a resistor so it's not a shortcut and the fuse wont blow.. So you actualy notice nothing and the darn thing still heats, till you put a finger in the tank, nice if you like a punky hair style. Not so nice if you happen to use a pacemaker or have a heart condition.

Anyway, it happend to me with my first and last stainless steel heater.. I took it apart to see how it is constructed.. And it's indeed a hollow steel pipe with a coiled wire, running through a U shaped heat resistand glass tube.. That's what makes the tinkle noise when you shake it.. :)

That last could be a sign absolutely not to buy it, no tinkle noise could mean it's double sealed, but still wouldn't take my chances. They are pottential killers silent killers.

Back