• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help selecting plants for a tall tank

Phil63

Hi guys! I'm currently in the process of setting up my first ever planted tank and although I'm really enjoying planning it out in struggling a little choosing the plants for my tall aquarium. Here's what I've got right now (hopefully the picture appears ) . It's a tall tank with a small base, 67 x 67x 35cm. It is this size as the only space the missus would allow me to use for a tank was in an alcove next to the chimney breast so I made the most of it. I have a co2 setup a fluval fresh and plant 2 led light and an eheim ecco pro 130 filter.
What I'm struggling with now is plant selection, which plants and how many! I want to carpet the base with Monte Carlo 3 and I like the idea of different colours in there but I really could do with some experts advice. So please fire away... Any ideas will be appreciated .

Attachments

• IMG_20170429_102417.jpg
    IMG_20170429_102417.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
Hi Phil
Welcome to the UKaps!
There are a large selection of Cryptocoryne, that have various growing heights plus other subtle colour/shape differences!
https://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants/cryptocoryne-crispatula-var-balansae
Above is one of my favourites for the taller aquarium.
Vallisneria/Sagittaria....are other grass like plants that could be located into the background!
Hydgrophila pinnatifida would be a good choice for placement between the rocks see below...its quite versatile as it can be tied to wood or rock!
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/plantbase/hygrophila-pinnatifida.94/
Monte Carlo is one of the easier carpet plants to grow...you could look at Mini hair grass also....slow growing but effective!
There is a whole host of plants out there...just depends what look your after.
Have a look at some of the journals!
hoggie

Reactions: tim
Thanks a lot that's really helpful! I've just added some extra wood and rocks so I'm going to have a look at getting some Hydgrophila pinnatifida as you suggested as it looks great. Also I'm thinking of adding some Bucephalandra and some anibias to the wood and in between the gaps in the roots. Im still trying to decide which moss to go for. The mini hair grass looks great too, great advice.
20170430_173526.jpg

Crypt. Balansae is a great easy background plant. It's more interesting than Vallisneria sp. in my opinion.

In Australia there are two varieties in the hobby, one with a more red centre and leaves, another which is more green. Definitely worth a look for a tall tank!

Thanks!! Well I'm following these guy's expert advice and I've got a selection of crypt and Anubis's plants with some flame moss and dwarf hair grass. Also got some java fern and jungle Val. I'll be planting it on friday, can't wait!! Thanks guys for the advice

Back