• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Why do Java ferns develop plantlets?

Progen

As the title says, why do they do that? Is it because of stress or age? All four types including the recent additions have developed lots of plantlets over the past few weeks. Some of the Windelov leaf tips are covered with so many!

cgAZW2x.jpg

It is vegetative propagation, which is a property of the sp. they to that or make prothaliums or spores. I'm not sure if a microsorum would propagate vegetative emersed, it likely will make spores. As we rarely see submersed ferns develop spores. Only saw one picture and still not sure if it realy was developed submersed.

So could be the fern is doing this becuase it is submersed.. :)

@dw1305 or @Mick.Dk might know to tell you much more about it..

There is a "WHEN do" - part of this, and a "WHY do" - part.
The WHEN, I can answer - the WHY is just speculation.........

In my expetience, Microsorium develop plantlets mainly when stressed and leaves are at their last. Young and healthy leaves usually do not develop plantlets. Leaves with plantlets soon de-attach and flow off. Even leaves that broke off, will often develop plantlets if left floating around.
- this MIGHT give food to thoughts about why. A plant not really thriving at particular place, or a leaf not able to sustain itself, by this method invest energy in identical offspring, that can float off to settle somewhere better suited for growing.

- and yes; Microsorum do develop PLENTY of spores, growing emerse.........but can actually develop plantlets, too.......

The thing is that the tank was EI dosed but I've switched to PPS now after it became a jungle. Ferns have grown lots of new leaves and are pretty lush.

Also types have developed plantlets. Have to admit that the needle leaves aren't doing that great but they have plantlets too.

When observing Microsorum reactions......be aware, that what you observe usually has its course months back in time, maybe half a year.
In the case of developing plantlets, the Microsorum have "detected" its environment - "decided" how to react - started this reaction (=hormones etc.) and spent energy and time, growing plantlets. For a relatively slow-growing plant, this have taken time.
- so what you observe now is related to conditions a long time ago.
Microsorum do adapt to submerse, too - so this is to some degree stressfull. The submerse leaves therefore quite often start producing plantlets, when emersed.

Oh dear, this means I'll need to wait another few more months and trim a lot of old leaves before I get true submersed ferns because I've heard that many of the local ones are grown emersed on spare land in nurseries and farms and nurtured on animal manure.

2vwS5Hh.jpg

If only Java fern commanded buce kind of prices. I'm looking at close to 200 plantlets easily and that's just for the Windelovs alone!

Back