• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cliff & Plateau

McCarthy

Hello guys,

after reading and trying a few forums I quickly came to the conclusion that UKAPS is the right place for me. I really like the straightforward and decent replies so far.

Now, this will be my first journal, and my first tank. I spent quite some time over the last 4 or 5 years reading into reefs, but changed my direction when I saw some of those astonishing Iwagumi setups.

Needless to say, my tank will have a Iwagumi "style" layout. I won't adhere to all the implied rules, but stick to simplicity, perspective, San Sui stones and lot of carpet.

All that being said, I'm still waiting for some parts. At this point there is no final hardscape layout or anything alive.

I hope some of you guys come along for the ride.

Here is my equipment, plant and inhabitant list:

UPDATE 06/26/17
It was time to give all those extra tanks their own names and to decide on the final layout, stone, fish, shrimp and plants:

Image1.png

UPDATED 06/08/17

Main Tank:

Image1.png

Refugium:

Image2.png

Took the following photo last week, I already got more items delivered. This is the current layout I have in mind. Cliff to the left and an elevated "Plateau" to the right, bordered by that wall of rocks. Short carpet in the main / left area, a bit longer carpet or hairgrass on the Plateau. I don't want any long plants. Going for a really clean and simplistic look.

1.png

This was another layout I came up with. In this case only one elevation level.

3.png

Here I tested the tank for leaks and the Eheim filter. At first the pump didn't circulate the water and I had to force water into it, in order to get it started. I love the electronics of the Eheim which allow me to adjust the flow or even simulate waves. I know that the pump is overkill for my 90 x 30 x 30 tank, but if I ever want to upgrade, I won't have to exchange all the equipment.

4.png

I'll be working on the plumbing next, including a T-adapter for the Milwaukee PH probe.

Last edited:
The Giesemann LED light and Bluetooth controller arrived today. Border control ripped the package open for inspection and just smashed everything in the large box, what a bunch of assholes.

Man is this light powerful. Glad I'll be able to adjust color channels and output. Haven't figured out yet how to connect my iPhone.

Img_2902.jpg

Great equipment you have there.

How is the light in the corners? Wouldn't it be better if the lights were rised a bit to improve coverage?

Enviado do meu HUAWEI GRA-L09 através de Tapatalk

Great equipment you have there.

How is the light in the corners? Wouldn't it be better if the lights were rised a bit to improve coverage?

Thank you.

Good point. I think Giesemann offers higher stands and also a hanging system. I have to fill the tank with water again and see how that changes the light distribution too.

What would be a good Light Meter by the way?

I believe the member tmiravent is a good person for you to ask, he made some nice measurements of some led lights available, and I believe he used something like an Apogee!!! Not really sure

I spent even more money in the past couple days. I have 50 pounds of San Sui stone on the way to give me more options for the scaping and also some for the "refugium".

Talking about the fuge, I will put everything in quarantine before moving it to the main tank. That being said, my fuge will be a dedicated display tank. It will also be my backup tank if things don't go right in the main tank.

For the fuge I have ordered a JBJ Saltwater tank with build in filter / heater housing and LED. This will allow me to run this tank with no visible tubes, wires or equipment hanging around. This is a photo with a saltwater setup:

p-97480-FS92817K_003.jpg

It holds 8 gallons, plenty for my needs. Will sit on the kitchen countertop. When things are settled in the main tank I'll keep mainly shrimp in it and maybe a few fish.

I also ordered the glassware: small ADA Violet in- and outtake, 4 double union ball valves, all tubing for the PH probe and silicon hoses.

Only pieces missing are the cabinet, reactor, plants, shrimp and fish. I have an appointment at a local interior builder on Monday. He will cut sanded plywood and laminate, I'll do the building, screwing and gluing. Remaining parts should be here within 5 - 10 days. Then I'll need a couple days for the scape and order the plants.

The ADA pipes and more San Sui stones arrived. Now I have plenty of options. How do you guys like this scape?

Img_2960.jpg

These are the other stones I have. Should I try something The Green Machine style and bank up the tank?

Img_2961.jpg

Hi
Great Journal!
Like the idea of a cliff/plateau effect aquascape,...the 2 stones to the left look fine, not sure about the other 2 to the right!
There too tall large....try for a graduated sized placement.
I would try and work with 3,5,7 amounts of pieces of stone, its more pleasing to the eye than even numbers!
You could raise the larger stone up to the water line and try a semi-emersed moss carpet!
hoggie

My refugium just arrived. It has 3 color channels (and 10 brightness settings).

All white LEDs on, will be my standard setting for this fresh water setup:

Img_2964.jpg

Half white, half blue setting. Might work too.

Img_2965.jpg

All blue LEDs on. Only for coral reefs. Might switch those blue LEDs with reds.

Img_2963.jpg

I'll start setting up this tank soon since it will house every fish and shrimp before they go into the main tank. Will be ordering plants soon.

Hi
Great Journal!
Like the idea of a cliff/plateau effect aquascape,...the 2 stones to the left look fine, not sure about the other 2 to the right!
There too tall large....try for a graduated sized placement.
I would try and work with 3,5,7 amounts of pieces of stone, its more pleasing to the eye than even numbers!
You could raise the larger stone up to the water line and try a semi-emersed moss carpet!
hoggie

You might be right with uneven numbers, I'll keep that in mind. And I think I also agree with those 2 stones to the right. That's just too much and too tall in this setting.

While I generally like the idea to raise the big one to the water line or even above, I do not want any moss in this tank. I want to keep the stone clean for maximum black to green carpet contrast. San Sui stone is also too expensive to be covered up. :D

I did test the refugium for 3 days and the pump started acting up. Turned very loud and was vibrating on and off. Looks like the impeller or the housing isn't straight. Cheap crap made in China... what can you expect. Will send it in for a replacement but also ordered a Mini Eheim pump that should fit into the small filter housing.

Talking about that in-the-tank-filter housing, I'll also ordered a stainless steel CO2 diffusor which I will place right inside the housing and under the pump. I'll figure out how much CO2 comes out the nozzle after going through the pump. Really trying to keep everything out of sight.

Getting the aquascaping done in the fuge was much easier. I tried a larger stone but it looks crowded quickly. Also trying to keep it simple for the occasional "fishing".

DSC00071.jpg

DSC00070.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, here it goes.

That small JBJ Desktop tank - which I was going to use as a refugium / backup tank - is a POS. I have other words too, but that'll get me kicked out in no time.

I was planning on ordering the few remaining parts today, like a small heater that fits into the backwall filter housing and got into some testing again. Here the outcome:

1.) The pump is way too loud and vibrates. I was ok with this issue and have an Eheim coming.
2.) The LED Light doesn't come back on when put on a timer, hence complexly useless.
3.) The LED control buttons are touch-sensors. Very finicky and they skip settings often.
4.) One of the 3 filter cartridges comes loose all the time because the small clips don't hold.
5.) The entire filter box design is ridiculous because the water is not forced through all 3 filter media cartridges, they are aligned in parallel, not in series.
6.) The column for the heater is too skinny, haven't found a matching heater. JBJ doesn't offer any, go figure.
7.) The water can't circulate the heater because the column is closed. The water just moves over the top right into the filter media.

This kit is complete rubbish. I'm a noob and I'm already running into many major design flaws. Who ever designed this kit has no clue what-so-ever.

Looks like I'll go all out with the refugium / backup tank too. No cheap products. Going to order another tank from Ultum Nature Systems, GLA SS CO2 Regulator, external Eheim canister filter, the whole nine yards.

I dislike compromises, but I really hate badly designed products.

Still waiting for the cabinet for the main tank. The cabinet builder is 1 week behind schedule and he's not responding to my last emails even though an employee said that my cabinet looks almost ready to go. Completely pisses me off when people don't keep deadline and don't even have the courage to let the customer know what's going on.

Regarding my rant with my "refugium" tank from JBJ I have decided to keep it for testing and modding. By the time I have this wrapped up and shipped back I have lost more money and time than this thing is worth.

JBJ offered to send a new version of that LED light which supposedly has a chip that keeps the light in the "on" mode when a timer comes back on.

That being said, the light is till made for reefs and I might have to swap some blue LEDs with red and white ones.

Another issue with that JBJ kit is the filter. I'll have to modify it in order to force the water through the filter. The mentioned design flaw lets the water bypass the filter completely. A simple wall made of a piece of plastic will take car of that. I'll also add some intake slots on the bottom in order to have water enter and circulate the heater.

By the way, I ordered another Ultum Nature Systems tank, the U45. This will take the spot of the fuge tank in my kitchen, and the JBJ will be placed somewhere else.

Yep, that's right: this journal is now about 3 tanks! The main 90cm tank in the living room, a 45cm small version for the kitchen and the JBJ tank as a backup / refugium / testing / modding tank, probably in my office or in the bed room.

The 45cm tank for the kitchen will get the full setup as the main 90cm tank. GLA CO2 regulator, quality LED light (Kessil or AI), San Sui stones, 4+ 350 Eheim filter, ADA glassware, you name it.

Cost is now up to:

90cm tank: $5,100
45cm tank: $1,350
JBJ refugium: $500

I just realized that the last 7 posts are all from me. Besides some likes for my new camera, there is no feedback since then. This leaves me a bit frustrated, because either people don't care for my build or I'm doing something wrong. Either way I'm questioning the purpose of a journal because of the lack of feedback. I'm not doing this for me - heck I have all this on my computer anyway - but to share my experience and get some input. So, what's up with that? Anybody even reading this?

I wish I Could say something useful, If I could, I would.

About the custom cabinet, did you choose the design? Because I like how the doors cover all the front, unlike the Ada style ones.

And I hope you use that awesome camera for way more than aquariums and fishes

Back