• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping java fern bright geen ?

Jamie williams

Seedling
As above any tips in a low tech tank ? What should i be dosing to help thanks in advance from jay

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

For the topic title, you need a ton of patience and it depends on which java sp. you plant. The regular one is about the easiest of all, probably the most suitable for submersed growth. There are varieties which are a bit more demanding and absolutely need co2 to get big and nice and lush green and bushy. Without it they stay rather very small. And as Hogan descibes older leaves grow darker and die off, oftenly after giving birth to new little plantlets.

The more difficult java sp. will shed older leaves at a smaller size in low tech. Giving the assumption there is something a mis. But java over all is a very slow grower and there for also a bad indicator plant. It's nitrogen demand aint realy high, its more in demand of potassium and phosphate to propagate new growth. But still this is a very low demand, i had some growing in a tank i never have given a drop of fertilizer and they grew well.

But as said not all java fern sp. are equaly easy in a low tech. :)

IME, more light will make old Java Fern's leaves stay bright green.

Mine is needle-leaf type. Old leaves at the top of the tank really stay green except ones buried under the floating tuft of Vivipara that turn distinctly darker green. I know they are old because they no longer have "transparent" tips anymore. Some of them are very old as I intentionally keep them to keep the Vivipara in place.

Leaves at the bottom part of the tank which get less light turn dark green as they age.

java_f.jpg

I simply cannot grow regular broader leaf java fern in my low tech, but my sister who knows nothing about plant's,ferttz, grows it like a weed.
How did I solve my problem? I quit going over to my sister's house.:rolleyes:
I am able to grow the lace java fern fairly well however.

How did I solve my problem? I quit going over to my sister's house.:rolleyes:

:D I like your logic, maybe that's the future. Stop coming in here and eye balling semi pro's tanks and just be happy with what you can grow.

I havent grown Microsorum sp in years - got tired of them taking over the tank & couldn't sort out how to trim without it being too fiddly (to make it look as if hadn't been trimmed) or how to limit leaf size

Tank conditions were moderate CO2, moderate light (think Jewel Rio line with T5 & reflectors), moderate Tropica fertilizer ...
I tried M p "Narrow" "Philippine" 'Tropica' "Undulata" (never liked those "fingers" of 'Wendelov')
- Mick will appreciate that trip down Memory Lane ;)

Saw some lovely colours on the leaves - bright greens, gold, bronze (red?) - "Philippine" was my favourite

Though lately I think about doing a Microsorum & Anubias only tank :cool:

Back