• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is something wrong (or right)

Progen

TFThS6j.jpg

My anubiases have been photosynthesising like crazy for the past two months with new leaves every week and I noticed that their roots have developed lots of secondary roots. In this one, I've actually trimmed off quite a lot of the smaller roots and an inch off the primary ones.

What does this kind of root growth say?

Don't trim it, use it.. :) Put moss in it, fissidens, or liverwort maybe, or maybe another plant like Hemianthus callitrichoides. Then they live a nice symbiotic relationship. And looks awsome..

I can't have all those roots growing everywhere. Becomes harder to conceal things whenever I rearrange which is like every 2 weeks on average.

Hi all,
I can't have all those roots growing everywhere.
You probably need a different plant then, because trimming the roots is just going to make them bush out more.

Personally I like the roots on Aroids, and I suspect that the green roots, that grow in the light, photosynthesize like an epiphytic orchids would.

cheers Darrel

Too bad they don't command buce prices. They're like 3 times the size of when I first got them. :lol:

I'm sure they're happy because some of them are oxygenating in a pretty fast constant stream an hour after the lights come on. Maybe I'll get one of those Chihiros A series lights with the long wire supports so that some of the plants can grow emersed.

What's your PAR? Strong light normally encourages vigorous root growth.

PAR should be pretty low because in lux at 2', they were only a bit over 1000 which isn't surprising considering their low cost.

Back