• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Just set up a Fluval 306 - EXTREMELY noisy

Yeah, all the canisters I've had made similar noise in the first 2 or 3 weeks, then they start going silent. They need to develop a bit of mulm around the impeller
Thats a great insult to eheim and fluval. They will be silent right from the begining. But there are some exceptions incase of bad quality products released to the market, like yours and OP.

Any fellow hobbyist can help here?

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-UL00 using Tapatalk

There should be 2 little rubber "nipples" that fit over each end of the impeller shaft. They either weren't in the pack with the impeller, or you didn't notice them. Without them the filter will be very noisy and won't work properly. Should be relatively easy to replace. A LFS will probably have a few lying around.

The impeller has the brushes on. In fact, I replaced them at the same time I replaced the impeller in hopes it'd help. No such luck. I really don't know where to go from here, maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it.

Where are you situated?
As you have had this problem for some time it might be worth putting the kettle on & have someone else have look with a new set of eyes, ears & thoughts.
As Kipper suggested, its better have another experienced pair of eyes and ears from your locality.

You are not supposed to bear the inconvenience caused from a bad quality product. It is definitely not working as it should. You are entitled for a replacement from the seller, contact them for an RMA.

Hi
This is how the impellor should sit in the impellor chamber! (Picture below) with 2 rubber bushes at each end.
If there is excess noise there is air getting into the filter....either the O ring is damaged or not finished properly!
Or the connections to the Out/In pipes are not on properly!
Take the pump head off and remove the large O ring check its smooth with no defects!
If it has residual material on the ring use decorators smooth finishing paper to remove!
Use Vaseline liberally around the ring to make a good airtight seal!
If your using a Eheim installation set these can let air occasionally if the water level drops too low!
upload_2017-3-27_10-20-9.png

hoggie

Hi
This is how the impellor should sit in the impellor chamber! (Picture below) with 2 rubber bushes at each end.
If there is excess noise there is air getting into the filter....either the O ring is damaged or not finished properly!
Or the connections to the out in pipes are not on properly!
Take the pump head off and remove the large O ring check its smooth with no defects!
If it has residual material on the ring use decorators smooth finishing paper to remove!
Use Vaseline liberally around the ring to make a good airtight seal!
If your using a Eheim installation set these can let air occasionally if the water level drops too low!
View attachment 104534
hoggie
OP did the bucket test so leaking o-ring or any issues with canister and o-ring were ruled out. Problem is inside the head, hope some one can extend some expertise by visiting this buddy.

What Eheim model is this filter!
Have you greased the impellor shaft with Vaseline?
If its not air getting into filter...it could be a priming issue!
Seems strange you have had the same problem with 2 different makes of filter!

hoggie

I really don't know where to go from here, maybe I'll just have to learn to live with it.

Return products & get a refund, anything done through PayPal has a customer satisfaction guarantee - sometimes it's simplest just to go this route.

Modern filters are just plug & play, if they don't work out of the box, insist on a replacement
It's not your responsibility to find the problem or tinker a solution

If you've a local shop go in & request a filter lesson...
BUT also act like a client & purchase something commensurate with the time shop invests in you :)

Hi guys, this weekend I have a look at the O ring and maybe lubricate it, plus looks at the connections of the tubing (although they all seem fine). Honestly, it sounds like it could be the motor. Maybe I'll look into getting a replacement/refund... but it'll be a bit of a pain as I'll have to send it off in the post as it is amazon (that's if they'll give me a refund in the first place)

I'm also not using the default eheim bio media set up as it's so expensive. Instead I have lots of course sponge that came with the filter plus some fluval bio media - could this be affecting the noise?

Anyone know if there's a way i can contact Eheim directly?

Go through the manuals came with eheim, they will indicate eheims contact details..

There is a possibility when you stuff the filter with too much media until it restrict the inflow, in this case you will not have any flow. Any way in your case its not canister related issues.

Thanks, I'll email them. They're the customer service for the UK aren't they? I've been holding off until now but I might aswell. I actually recorded how much sound the filter is making - it's 59 decibels. Is that typical? Am I overeacting?

Have you put the riser in the bottom with the little feets pointing down?

Do you mean the impeller bushes on either end of the impeller shaft? A quick note: ever since I added this external filter I can see my internal Juwel filter spitting out air bubbles pretty regularly - could this be something to do with the noise coming from the Ehem? Could they both be interfering with each other? The juwel output pipe is the opposite end of the Eheim input tube.

No
a28d3640abbf3bef2e6a93168f9716fe.jpg

The green part at the bottom of the image. Once I've bought pretty cheap a noisy and with low flow 2211, the only problem it had was the pieces were upside down. If the bottom one is restricting the flow, maybe the filter isn't able to purge the air. Well, sorry for my English, not sure if I'm explaining properly.

Back