• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Please help me

Tomas4

Hi all tank keepers.Have massive problem.Restarted my 3 years old tank on Friday.Changed gravel for eco complete,put boog root,replanted plants.Fill up with fresh water and added Tetra Aqua safe.Put fishs back(I know it's not good,but I can't put somewhere else)Next morning found 3dead,following day again.And every day was the same. No difference today to.From 11 Barbus left just six. Done big water change,but not all today,because saw,that some fishs is not well.After change looks,that not getting well too.Any advice of all you?Please

Hi Tomas, sorry to hear the problem, can I ask how long ago you restarted your tank? And did you keep all media and filter in old tank water then put into the new tank after the tetra aqua safe?

I restarted on Friday.All media was in old aquarium water.Just connected back.

Hi all tank keepers.Have massive problem.Restarted my 3 years old tank on Friday.Changed gravel for eco complete,put boog root,replanted plants.Fill up with fresh water and added Tetra Aqua safe.Put fishs back(I know it's not good,but I can't put somewhere else)Next morning found 3dead,following day again.And every day was the same. No difference today to.From 11 Barbus left just six. Done big water change,but not all today,because saw,that some fishs is not well.After change looks,that not getting well too.Any advice of all you?Please
What u have done is complete restart... Changing substrate means the complete disruption of ecology which was present for three years......

Ill suggest to keep those fishes in separate tank for few weeks till initial cycle is established.....

Otherwise use Seachem Safe in good quantity..... It nutralises all ammo ,no2 spike ....

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thanks for advice.Try to buy tomorrow,but I think it's gona be to late.

I agree with pinaki pal, from some knowledge I know some aqua substrates recommend to do 2 25% water changes for the first few weeks, specially the tropica substrates

NO3 mg/l 25
NO2 mg/l 2
I put API ammo lock,hope it's help.Can I put tetra easy balace?

No2 is the killer here.... I haven't used that product u r referring so cant tell.... Use some product which detoxify no2 n nh3 both....

Lots of water change... Will suggest daily wc

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Tomas
Did you clean the filter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No,just connect all for new filter.Ammonia test showing 1.0.Second day filling saechem prime.Left 3 barbs from yesterday.not loose any fish from yesterday.So good news.

I would do as big a water change as you can do (50-75%) every day for at least a few days while until your plants and bacteria grow enough for the tank to become stable again.

Seachem Prime is great as a dechlorinator and can detoxify ammonia, but is no substitute for many big water changes.

When the floating plants arrive they should be great at sucking up ammonia too and thier roots have lots of good bacteria

I would do as big a water change as you can do (50-75%) every day for at least a few days while until your plants and bacteria grow enough for the tank to become stable again.

Seachem Prime is great as a dechlorinator and can detoxify ammonia, but is no substitute for many big water changes.

When the floating plants arrive they should be great at sucking up ammonia too and thier roots have lots of good bacteria
Thanks for advice,received plants.

After two days used prime and stability,results not good at all.Any advice? IMAG0556.jpg

Nitrate value is good for plants, won't negatively effect fish, nothing to worry about there.

Ammonia is at 2ppm, so if you do a 50% water change this should immediately bring it down to 1ppm. 50% minimum daily water changes until it's at 0ppm for a couple of days :thumbup:. Don't clean the glass or remove any algae for a while, biofilm and algae will help stabilise the water conditions by consuming ammonia.

Also don't bother feeding the fish until ammonia is at 0ppm either, they will be fine for a week or longer if they were well fed before. More fish food = more ammonia.

I wouldn't bother with Seachem Stability, it's a waste of time for you. Studies show most "bacteria in a bottle" type of aquarium treatments have very limited positive benefit when starting a tank from scratch (which your not doing), and not in the way the bottle describes. The bacteria on your filter and the plants are far more suitable than the bacteria in Stability. In your case it's just adding a tiny amount of waste into the tank with each dose IMO, so not helping, but probably negligible harm so don't worry.

Using Seachem Prime when changing the water should be enough, it will "detoxify" ammonia, but only in emergencies, it's not a long therm solution. If you use too much, it will actually inhibit bacterial growth, and I'm not sure what effect it has on plants when overdosing to detoxify ammonia. So use at normal dosages and just keep up daily water changes. If you see fish are distressed, just do a bight water change. You could even do one at the start of the day, and one at the end of the day. Whatever works for you, the more the better.

The floating plants should grow noticeably within the week and will help greatly by sucking up that ammonia directly. If you have your light on a timer, increase photoperiod to 12hours+ (more plant/algae growth = less ammonia).

Nitrate value is good for plants, won't negatively effect fish, nothing to worry about there.

Ammonia is at 2ppm, so if you do a 50% water change this should immediately bring it down to 1ppm. 50% minimum daily water changes until it's at 0ppm for a couple of days :thumbup:. Don't clean the glass or remove any algae for a while, biofilm and algae will help stabilise the water conditions by consuming ammonia.

Also don't bother feeding the fish until ammonia is at 0ppm either, they will be fine for a week or longer if they were well fed before. More fish food = more ammonia.

I wouldn't bother with Seachem Stability, it's a waste of time for you. Studies show most "bacteria in a bottle" type of aquarium treatments have very limited positive benefit when starting a tank from scratch (which your not doing), and not in the way the bottle describes. The bacteria on your filter and the plants are far more suitable than the bacteria in Stability. In your case it's just adding a tiny amount of waste into the tank with each dose IMO, so not helping, but probably negligible harm so don't worry.

Using Seachem Prime when changing the water should be enough, it will "detoxify" ammonia, but only in emergencies, it's not a long therm solution. If you use too much, it will actually inhibit bacterial growth, and I'm not sure what effect it has on plants when overdosing to detoxify ammonia. So use at normal dosages and just keep up daily water changes. If you see fish are distressed, just do a bight water change. You could even do one at the start of the day, and one at the end of the day. Whatever works for you, the more the better.

The floating plants should grow noticeably within the week and will help greatly by sucking up that ammonia directly. If you have your light on a timer, increase photoperiod to 12hours+ (more plant/algae growth = less ammonia).
Thanks so much.Try to do like you said.Hope it's help.

Looking better on the ammonia side of things, you don't need to bother doing the time-consuming nitrate (NO3) test btw. Keep up the water changes! :)

Ammonia 0.25ppm test in the evening.But done again 50% wc.Hope it's going better.

Finally ammonia drop to 0ppm.Still done another wc.Can I feed fish?when I can turn on Co2 and use ferts?

Back