• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant for wood above water level

andusbeckus

I'm looking for a small plant that will happily grow attached to wood and out of the water.

It would also be only 4 inches away from light too if there is a plant suitable for this?

Hi
You could go for Hydrocotyle sp. "Japan"
upload_2017-2-19_9-2-35.png

Hi
Grows in long thin strands....so you just rap around the wood and leave some of the ends in the aquarium water!
It may need misted a couple of times a day to help with acclimatisation!
hoggie

Hi
Grows in long thin strands....so you just rap around the wood and leave some of the ends in the aquarium water!
It may need misted a couple of times a day to help with acclimatisation!
hoggie

We have a winner! Sounds good I'll give it a try. I just started running an airpump at night and the bubbles popping are splashing my light. They pop right where the wood is so hopefully they will get a little splashing and also act as a guard for my light when they grow

Hemianthus callitrichoides also is a very easy plant to grow like this.
dscf7317-kopie-jpg.86236.jpg

The one on top is Bog pimpernel (might find it in a pondshop)..

Depending on the shape of the wood many plant can be grown against it. As long as the roots are in the water and the emersed plant part can take the lower humidity. This is a horizontal piece of wood with a hollow cavity, it has among other mainly Lilaeopsis brasiliensis on it.
dscf6980-kopie-jpg.85555.jpg

If you tie plants to wood than for example make a combination of plants, one submersed like an Anubias close to the surface. This plant will attach it's roots to the wood and Anubias grows an extensive rootsystem, it grows more roots than leaves. :woot: Use it.. And than take a plant you like to grow emersed and tie this together with the anubias on top and the other plants roots under the anubias root. The anubias will attach and support the emersed plant. Even later you can stick another plant with the tweezers behind the anubias roots. :) They will knot and lock together.

Here you see such a setup, also with Hydrocotyl tripatitty.. If you look closely you see an (medium sized) Anubias leave emeresed and also some submersed, it is tied to the backside of the wood, not as focal point but as anchor. The Carex (grassy plant) in the midlle and the Hygrophilla are growing in the anubias roots.. The hygrophila is in trouble, i did put it there myself in that condition, it was dying in a wabi kusa. It will come back and already is forming new growth. In the back you see a Pogostemong stellatus. In this tank it is actualy in the substrate, but i know it will work with this one too. Becaue i already did it in another tank.
DSCF8263.jpg

Anyway, just give the plant it's support it needs and the choices are numerous. ;)
Start a new hobby called Wabi Kusa, with this you'll find which plants do good in lower humidity.. And if you've growen some WK plants it's easily to be transfered to grow above an aqaurium. :thumbup:

Hydrocotyle tripartita will not actually attach to your branch............but since the plant will grow happily floating around in the tank, unrooted ( as long as your water is well fertilised), winding it around the wood will work perfect.
You will be up for some regular trimming, though - the plant is a true weed given light and ferts are high (but this is a luxury-problem, ain't it :p ?)

Back