• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

dwarf hair grass

Roediger

Do i really need co2 to grow dwarf hair grass, or will it work with rich nutrient substrate, ferts, and a light with a par reading of 48?

It will grow fine without, if you have too high lighting and no CO2 however, it will get covered in algae.

I have no idea if 48 is too high a PAR value without CO2 though, sorry. I should really get a PAR meter to play with at some point.

I grown it with no CO2 a few times, usually under 2 x T5 bulbs. It doesn't seem to carpet as densely with no CO2, but grows healthy and looks good.

hmm i am worried about the algae tho. i tried to grow it in the past but my light wasn't sufficient and my water was missing a few ferts, but i got the NPK now. so hope it does better if i purchase more

Last edited:
It depends what you expect.. :) Do you wish a dense front carpet in shortest time possible? Forget it..
But if you like to plant it to accentuate and feather some corners and edges it's ok.

I got it growing (rather say staying alive) under relatively low light, no problems, but takes ages to propagate and spread..

do you know anythign about this plant (elatine hydropiper) if its had to grow as carpet?

ok thank you!. I have a DIY co2 citric acid and baking soda. i think my light might not be as strong as I had hoped. might have to buy another finnex or try 3 flood lights 30w each

Then there might be another question: how high is too high? Well, I could grow Japanese dwarf hair grass in gravel under full sun with intermittent ferts and intermittent CO2 supplement (yeast). Light in the summer afternoon should be no less than 2000 micromols. They didn't die from getting "too much light". Funny thing is algae was not much of the problem either. I think it's because there was no animal in the container, less organic waste.

hg_outside.jpg

I see,. so i have a finnex planted plus 24/7. I mostly have it on high setting, and with diy co2. i see a bit of algae here and there, but with this light it never has red colors unless i turn it down to about 12 pm lighting which shows reds in the center. so with coo2 u think i can dim the lights down some to control the smallest algae that i have and not have it affect growth?

this was very informative to see such a tank with low lighting. so the less light i have the less co2 gets consumed i am guessing?

so lowering light i can stable my co2? I turned on my co2 at 1pm, my lights go on at 3, that's 2 hrs with the light off before turning on!. my drop checker still shows light blue still at 6 PM at 1 bubble per second. should i raise the co2? or wait how it balances out after this new information

I see,. so i have a finnex planted plus 24/7. I mostly have it on high setting, and with diy co2. i see a bit of algae here and there, but with this light it never has red colors unless i turn it down to about 12 pm lighting which shows reds in the center. so with coo2 u think i can dim the lights down some to control the smallest algae that i have and not have it affect growth?

That, you have to try. But I don't think you can control algae with light alone. Light level that can grow plants will grow algae too. And if you lower it too far, your plants will die but some algae (diatom, BBA) can still keep growing.

On the other hand, more light means many things happens faster. You can get your HG lawn sooner but you will also have less time to correct problems.

Last edited:
can you also help me on a small matter. like i said before i have a DIY mix. today i turned on the co2 2 hrs before the light and up until now its been on , and my checker wasnt solid green. on a 2 bubble per seconds on a 29 gal tank. my Ph is 7.5

Back