• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Replacement plant suggestions?

Chrispowell

hi all,

I'm looking to replace the trident fern that sits on top of my bog wood, the light is too strong and algae turns my leaves black..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

can anyone suggest a new plant that will do better in the strong light?

Thanks

Chris

Thanks Tim, this one looks great! ( I think I saw Juris scaping a tank at green Aqua over the weekend with it).

Will it be okay in hard water?

Thanks! I have done some reading and decided to try 3 lots, I will attach some to the driftwood and some to stones so I can try its growth in different areas of the tank.

Watch this space

Chris

Reactions: tim
If you want the horizontal spreading growth-form of Hyg. pinn. the trick is to constantly trim away the dominant branch(es). Those are the bigger,fatter and up-right growing ones. By removing those, the plant will be much more willing to grow more of the horizontal branches.
New dominant branch(es) will be produced again and again - and must ofcourse be trimmed away again and again.
- and yes; you can start trimming these dominant branches right after in-planting, or even before you actually plant it. If requirements of this plant is met, it is really a surprisingly virile plant, capable of producing numerous branches in short time.

Back