• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Established tank Brown Algae

PARAGUAY

The living room tank ran out of CO2 ,so because of one thing or another didn't replace gas bottle while recently,some plants suffered some Amazons,Javas did well butsince resuming CO2 seem to have a continual brown algae outbreak,tried larger water changes,helps but then comes back

Paul not to different ,maybe I thought things would improve when resuming CO2,at the moment trying different things ,cleaning stones,temporary using activated carbon ,more water changing,keeping up with EI,,The gravel been in for years,maybe its old tank syndrome as PFK call it! Maybe as some more floating plants

How are the plants doing? Presumably they struggled / didn't grow as fast without Co2, which has let the algae creep in.

Thanks Chris at the moment I am doing lots of water changes as Tim advised(3 a week,2 at 30%,one 50%.tweaked a few other things including cut down on feeding fish,removing plant leaves.Things appear a bit better suppose its a patience game for now

As far as I understand things plants have to alter their leaf structure around the rubisco enzyme when dealing with changes to the surrounding co2 concentration. Perhaps the older leaves that are no longer suited to the new co2 concentration are given up once the useful elements have been scavanged. As the old leaves decay this could trigger an algae bloom? This would work both ways going from high co2 to low and vice Versa.

I agree that water changes should help.

Back