• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

You know nothing (Gareth Rogers) ada 60 (h)45

gareth777

Hi all

I am finally getting started on my first planted tank :) and if you did not guess from the title Ygritte knows me pretty well ;) (Game of thrones) so excuse the stupid questions and silly mistakes along the way .

aquarium : ADA 60 (H) 45
-Size 600mm x 450mm x 450 mm
-Volume 120 litres ish

Stand : Tmc Signature , Carbon Grey
- Size : 600mm x 450mm x 750mm

Lighting :

- Kessil A160we tuna sun
- Goose neck plus extension
- Spectral controller

filtration :
- Oase Biomaster 600 thermo
- Oase optimax 500 circulating pump
- Oase oxymax 100 air pump (quietest pump i have ever owned)

Media :
- Foam in pre filter ( considering removing some to ease blockage)
-Tray 1 eheim mech
-Tray 2 seachem matrix 1litre
-Tray 3 seachem matrix 1 litre
-Tray 4 empty (or considering foam pad)
-Tray 5 fine foam
Any advice on this before i start filter would be much appreciated !

Surface skimmer :
-Ada vuppa (now removed)

heating :
-Oase removable filter heater 300 w

Co2 :
-
2kg fire extinguisher
- co2 art advance professional dual stage regulator
- in tank glass diffuser

Substrate, sand, hardsacpe :
- 3 kg tropica plant growth substrate
- 9 kg tropica aquarium soil powder
- Ada mekong sand
- Mini landscape rock
- Tantora driftwood
- Redmoor wood

Flora :
- Monte carlo
- Pogostemon helferi
- Staurogyne repens
- Bucephalandra "wavey green"
- Hydrocotyle tripartita japan
- Limnophilla sesslilfoora
- Ammania sp bonsai
- Eleocharis dwarf hairgrass
- Eleocharis parula
- Taxiphyllum barbieri
- Taxiphyllum flame
- Vesicularia ferriei "weeping"

Fishes :
- Ammao shrimp
- otocinclus
- harlequin rasbora

Ferts :
- EI
- Seachem flourish excel

Water :

- 75% tap water 25% Ro

Thanks for taking a look more to follow very soon :)

Gareth

Last edited:
Hi Gareth! We will be following along. Looking forward to watching your build right from the start. Hope you post list of pictures!

6b4fe766f567a4880ba207ac60ec81a6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Gorgeous equipment! There are brands there that I have never heard of or seen before. All of the functions and features on your filter are quite intriguing! I like hiding as many devices from view as possible and the canister incorporating the heater is great! Are you able to clean just the particulate filter while leaving the bio-beds submerged and undisturbed? (I am a huge fan of biofiltration - never too much) The rocks are real sweet looking......... what kind are they? The rimless has a real clean look........ I like that!

I need to look your equipment up and learn more about the various pieces. The Kessel pendent adds a nice clean look to the tank. Is that a light controller with it? Halogen, halide or LED? What temperature light are you planning on?

Hi Gareth,

I am thinking about upgrading my filter to oase biomaster 350 thermo. There is not much info on them at the moment, so I am watching your thread for your initial impressions. I was also wondering about that very fine prefilter foam. Removing even half of it shouldn't stop the prefilter from doing its job, and it wouldn't be slowing the flow quite so much? Although it will clog up pretty quickly nonetheless.

Gorgeous equipment! There are brands there that I have never heard of or seen before. All of the functions and features on your filter are quite intriguing! I like hiding as many devices from view as possible and the canister incorporating the heater is great! Are you able to clean just the particulate filter while leaving the bio-beds submerged and undisturbed? (I am a huge fan of biofiltration - never too much) The rocks are real sweet looking......... what kind are they? The rimless has a real clean look........ I like that!
The rocks i am going to be using are mini landscape rocks or as some people refer to them seiryu stone

I need to look your equipment up and learn more about the various pieces. The Kessel pendent adds a nice clean look to the tank. Is that a light controller with it? Halogen, halide or LED? What temperature light are you planning on?
These lights are Led and yes that is a controller where you can alter temp/brightness/time on time off/even ramp up ramp down the light light throughout the day, in regards to to temp i am not sure until the tanks up and running i feel this is a personal preference anyway which pleases your own eye .

Hi Gareth,

I am thinking about upgrading my filter to oase biomaster 350 thermo. There is not much info on them at the moment, so I am watching your thread for your initial impressions. I was also wondering about that very fine prefilter foam. Removing even half of it shouldn't stop the prefilter from doing its job, and it wouldn't be slowing the flow quite so much? Although it will clog up pretty quickly nonetheless.
HI maple i have used 2 different Ehiem filters while fish keeping and my initial impression of the Biomaster is on par between them the thing what drew me to this is for one Oase has been around since the 50's making decent equipment, and the obvious of having a heat up filter with a heater which is easy to replace as all heaters will fail at some point ,the pre filter i have found is yes maybe prone to clogging (time will tell) but its so simple to remove to clean anyway and if it becomes part of a weekly or fortnightly chore its not going to take much time while doing a water change, i may be telling you different a few months down the line :eek: ,but like any filter all media and sponges can be changed to suit you .

One issue i had and i am sure a lot of others suffer from the same issue ( unlevel or slopping floors )here is how i got round this i have used a load bearing ply board cut to suit and underneath spread every inch is about 100 washers took forever getting it level, i then coated the ply with grey waterproof paint and then sealing any joints then to finish fixed a trim round the base to hide any distortion in the floor
20170102_103928.jpg
20170102_103945.jpg

Nice job on the base and getting things level! Been reading up on your tank and hardware.......... Wow!!!......... high end!!!.......we are getting so impatient to see what you do next. When I saw the stainless steel in your earlier photos my first impression was that it was a UV sterilizer of sorts........ but from the ADA site discovered that it is a filter housing!

Reading on the Seiryu Stone revealed a potential for increasing PH. Will that be an issue regarding your flora and fauna selection? I see the ceramic bio media and the sponges but what is the gravel/stone looking material and what is it for?

Reading on the "Lily Tube".......... I thought those were a co2 component but the ADA site indicated a return diffuser........... does that allow for a higher turn over rate with a diminished current?

Also read up on the Kessil lighting......... impressive! Now we are looking forward to seeing it working in a video!

From the equipment you have put together and the leveling job that you completed on the base, this is going to be a fantastic build!

Tank and equipment now in final position
HI Gareth, Very nice kit there :cool: Looking forward to seeing this planted :thumbup:
Thanks its been along time coming i think it was over year ago i see you at aquarium gardens opening when i just started collecting bits and finally there now

Tank and equipment now in final position

Thanks its been along time coming i think it was over year ago i see you at aquarium gardens opening when i just started collecting bits and finally there now

Hi Gareth, Yes mate it was quiet a time ago that we last met. How time fly's :eek: Still with all that superb kit it was well worth the wait :)

Back