• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tips for growing moss (...really beautiful moss)

Jeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzz!!! Viktor they are some of the best planted tanks I've ever seen!! They are IMO the ultimate in plated tanks, exactly how i like planted tanks to look.

Well done sir *tips hat* hahaha

I never had any luck with moss and lava rock either. On woods I have no problems and Fissidens Fontanus grows really well as does Kneiff's Hook moss (drepanocladus adunculus) which has taken over a whole length of bogwood. Pellia is just a weed.

Mick's point above is a good one. I tend to have my mosses on their own pieces of wood which I remove and sit in a bowl of water and trim them. That way I can then shke them under water and return them to the tank without having floating mosses invading other areas. Not viable for most scaped tanks but for a planted tank where you can set it up to remove pieces of wood then it is the best way.

I use my 'sand leveller' as a fan over the mosses in tanks too just to blow away detritus.

These are beautiful aquascapes.

As you might have noticed I am a big tetra fish fan. My goal is to consistently breed these babies the "natural" way, ie in the main tanks without involving a breeding tank. With tetras being egg scatterers and egg eaters, moss comes in very handy.

So my question to the moss experts in this thread is, which moss would you go with if you aimed for quick growth using lowish lighting and w/o CO2?

Thank you

Both the Java and the Spiky will work. They are both Taxiphyllum' s, tolerating low light and no added CO2. I actually think Spiky will grow a bit faster.
The Spiky will grow more dense and compact, then the standard Java - hiding the eggs better, but maybe making it hardr for fish to penetrate.

So my question to the moss experts in this thread is, which moss would you go with if you aimed for quick growth using lowish lighting and w/o CO2?

I have taiwan moss. I can't get rid of the stuff. I pretty much dislike it because it grows everywhere like algae, even all over the plants if left unchecked. What I've noticed is that it loves light and flow. Give it too low light and it looks leggy, brownish and dying. Here is an old picture of mine. Its attached itself on top of the internal filter. As a matter of fact, I just removed majority of it today from another tank, otherwise I would have taken a fresh picture of it transforming a sponge filter into some sort of odd looking green plant :) You leave one strand in, and in time its all over the place again...Low tech, no maintenance...

ShrimplettsMoss_zpsac3467d4.jpg

Hi all, I think Taiwan moss is another Taxiphyllum species.

Both <"Spiky"> and <"Taiwan"> moss are more aesthetically pleasing than <"Java moss">, which grows in longer, more straggly strands.

cheers Darrel
I suspect there is several different mosses going around under the name "Taiwan moss".
One kind of "Taiwan moss" has recently been sent for being ID'ed by a very reputable chinese (sorry, can't remember his name at this moment). He has to my knowledge not yet been able to put it in a category - which means it is probaply not one of the common ones (=Taxiphyllum, Vesicularia etc.)
Let's await his judgement......

Hi all,
I suspect there is several different mosses going around under the name "Taiwan moss".
I think most mosses it is probably pick a name, they are just difficult to ID.

When I was an under-graduate (in Botany) <"Tony Smith"> was one of our lecturers, and even he didn't know what <"some of the mosses"> were, without looking at them under a microscope.

You need a fruiting body and cell structure to try and get a name. I'm still none the wiser <"with these mosses">, and I'm not sure I've got the "Christmas moss" any more.
very reputable chinese
<"Prof. Benito C. Tan?">.

cheers Darrel

Fontinalis antipyretica also is a very easy to grow and very nice looking more plant like moss.. :)

Moss also can be a bit picky sometimes, it is best to let it deside by itself where it wants to grow. But this takes time.. For example Fisidens and flame moss is such a moss, i planted it in my low tech and it doesn't realy thrive in all places i planted it myself.. It looked like it was dissappearing, but it still is in there and propagates, after a year is see it suddenly appear and grow better at places where it did settle on it's own. Don't ask me how, but it did..

As Darrel says, throw in what you can find and see where it ends.. You might find some alledged less easy mosses actualy not be so difficult at all.. It might be more difficult for us to deside where to put it.

Even mosses you'll find in your garden, just throw tiny bits of it it in the tank and wait.. :thumbup:

Aquarium hobby is a bit a controll freak hobby.. But regarding mosses, have patience and let go a bit of that control freak (nature) feeling.. ;) You might be in for a surprice.

Back