• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting advice

Andrew Butler

I have had a look through various other threads but just not finding the answers I'm looking for. I have an aquarium 800x550x450mm 31x22x18" (LxWxH) and am looking for a light to go with it, I'm undecided yet as to exactly which way to go but I will see how it goes.

My ideal lighting would be controllable by programming (whether that's USB, bluetooth or similar I am not bothered) it would be nice to have a moonlight function to enjoy the tank of an evening also.

Open to suggestions

I have one tank with T5, others with LED (not much available locally in T5, just old technology non-dimming etc)

I'm disappointed that Giessmann retained that massive luminaire body (from their HQI ~T5 systems) so must admit I'd not invest on that basis
- I still very much like the esthetics of the fluorescent over LED: I have Kessil, ADA, Current USA (Satellite Pro +), I've seen the Fluval/Hagen LED options, Ecotech Radion XR15 FW, Maxspect Razor

(Un)fortunately LED R&D is very much driven by the Reef & Saltwater side of the hobby ... I don't see much improvement in planted tank options since 2014 (3 years is a LONG time) & some have disappeared from vendor lists or been discontinued by manufacturers

Depending on your area, there are more (brand) options but when I look at the online specifications, there's nothing revolutionary - more manufacturers seem to be embracing the "select a spectrum" (from our marine developed LED) as an answer to planted tank lighting.

When you find a system of interest request PAR & watt data based upon freshwater application (most "select a spectrum" options only list actual data based upon marine applications - depending on the emmitor array, you may only be using half the LEDs & possibly significantly less of the power)

LUPYLED is extraordinary but not within my budget - they need a base model ;)

I am going to have to try and have a real concentrated study on which colours, frequency, temperature etc plants need and see which marine based units can be used in a freshwater situation. easier said than done though i think!

Just a word of warning from experience or from stupidity!

I went over to LED's for a couple of reasons, temperature fluctuation & a sunrise / sunset & moonlight control.
I ruined my tank with Algea, to much light I'm slowly getting it back on an even keel.
I'm using TMC Grow Beams, to overcome the problem I dropped them to 25% they're now at 45% & I don't think I'll be going to 100%.

I have suffered from over lighting in recent years too, as soon as I switched from 2 x T5 to LED (TMC) I have had algae issues ever since!
For many years T5s were really successful & these pages were full of members beautiful tanks, it might just be a coincidence but you don't seem to see so many pictures nowadays just complaints about algae!
I can clearly remember trying to convince folk not to use 4 or 6 tubes as 2 x T5 the length of the tank was such a successful formula, I now have my LEDs running at 60% and 18" inches above the tank.
If only Parr meters were more reasonably in price we might stand a better chance of hitting the sweet spot without months of experimenting with fickle percentages?

It seems the more I look into this the more it is clear that the UK is just left behind in the LED over planted tank world. Yes, most 'higher end' LED units are aimed at coral growth but if you can individually tune each colour then you could quite probably bring them over to work with plants by understand which colours trigger photosynthesis, growth etc. It would also be useful to understand which colours would not start these things off so you could enjoy watching your tank lit up without affecting the plants.

The cheaper LED lights used by most in the UK it seems you can only turn the intensity up/down on all channels at once which I think is no good at all.

most 'higher end' LED units are aimed at coral growth but if you can individually tune each colour
not according to some of the more plant (& LED & PUR) technical articles I've read (sorry no bookmarks) - look at the emitter details & they are generally still very much blue (un)balanced ... you can't get wavelengths that aren't there (not sure that makes any sense as written)

I run Kessil A160 Tuna Sun on one tank, algae is very minimal in this tank.

I don't know what TMC is doing now with their plant series - they received great technical reviews on their AquayRay series
My LED list was based upon what's locally available, there are some great EU brands as well

Andrew, look into the chihiro a series lights. They are simple and can be dimmed manually or with a TC 420.

The Chihiro doesn't seem to have the control I would like but thanks.

Alto - I know the frequencies mostly at the blue end with the marine designed fittings, I need to understand a bit more about what frequencies photosynthesis mainly relies upon. I just don't think as many people understand about the lighting wavelength and frequencies like they do in the reef keeping community but that understanding is what corals need to photosynthesise not plants.

wavelengths that aren't there (not sure that makes any sense as written)
By that I think you are meaning you can only get 465nm if that is what the LED is set at?

you would need at least an par outlet of 300 watts per gallon meaning that would be 255mm above the water surface with a depth of 45cm, lighting variation would be in the spectrum of above 127par of output wavelength meaning nearing the nano mole of 10^6.6.. so it would have to be on at least for 7 to 10 hours with an average of 100 hours or less per week, with no need of circumbrance of average, just make sure its 100 hours or less to 70 hours. that would give your 4 in the day and 3 or 5 in the night

I have 2 dsuny led panels for sale that would be more than enough light! They will still be in the sales section. Programmable over 4 channels...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thanks Andrew. I already gone through the thread. Except Chihiro and Kessil A160 Tuna Sun I didn't get any good one.

Also I want to know for Led what should be the ideal wattage !! Currently I am running some local one but not up to the mark.

Previously I was using 2 X 36 watt PLL and 1 X 24 T5HO.

I am not sure how much Led wattage needed. That's why I asked ..........

Thanks

Back