• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Auto top up advice

Andrew Butler

At present I have a rimless / braceless aquarium which looses water through evaporation a bit too fast for my liking. I am looking at adding some kind of automated ATU but don't have a sump meaning I would want to put it in the main display and the water level is only around 12mm from the top of the glass.
Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

I'll second 6mm RO pipe, it's what I made my top up system out of.
20161022_210618.jpg

I'm not over keen on connecting it to the mains as the ball valves are quite prone to getting stuck, especially with the hard water I have. Thanks for the input though.

I was looking more towards the dedicated pumped systems like the tunze ones but with the water line being so near the top of the rim I'm unsure it would work.

You could try something like this -
20161227_193445.jpg

It's my new water changer. Not finished yet but there is a water valve solenoid which opens when the float switch is activated by the water level dropping too low. All controlled by a relay board. You could however put a pump in place of the water solenoid valve.

Allpondsolutions do a good top up kit, with 2 float valves,pump and tubing for about 40 quid. I have been using it for well over a year now on my open topped tank and can't fault it. It is quite neat and the second float protects the pump from running dry, also the pump is low voltage. I also use it for water changes.

Allpondsolutions do a good top up kit, with 2 float valves,pump and tubing for about 40 quid. I have been using it for well over a year now on my open topped tank and can't fault it. It is quite neat and the second float protects the pump from running dry, also the pump is low voltage. I also use it for water changes.

have you got a pic?

Back