• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tank cycle and cloudy water

Jason Blake

Hi Guys,

I am hoping for a bit of advice / reassurance.

I have just setup a 240 litre aquarium, this tank was setup on Saturday., 3 days ago I am aiming for the lower tech end of the spectrum.

I am using eco complete substrate in my planted areas, natural gravel in the none planted parts (very few of them). Fluval led lights set to just 50% for just 6 hours a day. Neutro plus carbon. no presurised co2 and tmc lite for frets.

I am using an aquel unimax 700 filter with eheim bio mech, subtrat pro and sachem matrix. temp is 27 just for the initial setup. will be reduced later.

I have got various crypts, amazon swords, mosses, anubias as well as hair grass. I also have redmoor root in there as wells samurai rock.some of the crypts have melted but I was told this can be normal for more sensitive ones.

When I first filled the tank it was crystal clear, then over night it turned somewhat milky and hasn't really cleared as yet which I wasn't expecting it to not until the cycle had really got going or even completed.

However my test results seem a little strange and don't know what make of them. I know we don't like hobby test kits but I do like to have a very rough idea of what's going on. As expected my ammonia level was up to 0.25ppm nitrite was 0.25ppm and my nitrate was 5ppm (tap water has 20ppm have no idea how it's got down to 5ppm overnight) those levels stayed the same for Sunday and Monday night. But tonight ammonia is 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm and my nitrate barely changed colour at all so somewhere around 0.5 to 1ppm. How is this possible? I redid the tests 3 times as I couldn't believe the results but they were the same Everytime.

Has my cycle really completed in just 3 days or has it stalled or something? If my cycle has completed, which I doubt how come my water is still milky?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
20161211_113312.jpg
20161211_113312.jpg

Stop testing and getting confused, once again proving the futility of hobby test kits, and just leave for say 8 weeks when it will be cycled.

To clear the water, try a purigen bag in your filter or something like Seachem clarity. I use it after major plant rearranging or filter cleaning to remove any residual water cloudiness.
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/se...40_229&zenid=da431b6cf866bc15e5ef05e2be35a3dd

Hey I agree, your tank wont be fully cycles just after three days there is something dodgy with the test... just leave it a few weeks then slowly start introducing fish a few at a time, which I'm sure you already knew

Cloudiness will go eventually just be patient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back