• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tumbling stones.......

Andrew Butler

Hi all,
I had enough of not being able to find a substrate or stones I liked so I have opted to go down the route of bolders, cobbles and stone.
I am only after putting a few plants in here and will mainly be a long grass of some kind (elocharis vivipara?)
It is far from the finalised design but I am after hearing peoples suggestions for this kind of design
Also a suggestion of a light that suits 800mm x 550mm would be great too!
cheers

Shame the bigger ones are not a lighter colour and more rounded,but I really like it.

Sorry to say this but that looks like dumped stones, move them(large ones) to 1/3 positions try to find irregular stones(same colour) in your surroundings and add them, don,t worry too much about substrate, buy a substrate that produces less dust when you pour water.

You need to contemplate how you are going to keep your tank clean.

I had loose piles of stones in my tank (no longer there) they acted at a barrier to stop my filter washing the substrate away. However the issues were:
- Detritus collects under the stones so at weekly water change they need lifting and vacuuming under and putting back.
- They will eventually go slightly green/black with algae. So they need regularly turning over and eventually washing in liquid carbon or bleach.

I actually think this has potential as an Australian biotope, with Australian plant life here and there and Australian native shrimp.

Hi all,
I had enough of not being able to find a substrate or stones I liked so I have opted to go down the route of bolders, cobbles and stone.
I am only after putting a few plants in here and will mainly be a long grass of some kind (elocharis vivipara?)
It is far from the finalised design but I am after hearing peoples suggestions for this kind of design
Also a suggestion of a light that suits 800mm x 550mm would be great too!
cheers

Before I went on iwagumi, I considered going the biotope design. Love the riverlike feel of it. Maybe try to percieve the flow of water and choice of plants that may sway with the outflow. I just notice too much stone of those mid size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back