• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aphids on salvinia natans

Vanish

Just as the title says, I spotted some small black beings on top of my salvinia natans. They look like aphids to me. I never expected to see that! Has anyone else had this occur?

09b9a2bc2e09467bf62e450adc17f1f0.jpg

Then I noticed one of the shrimp amongst the salvinia. Do you think it may be after the aphids?

e1dd39762a5cf244e42eab2f70893566.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ugh, unlucky! This has happened to me too, I had to remove all the floating plants to get rid of them, pretty much the only way as pesticides or ladybirds aren't an option. At least the fish will be getting extra snacks.

Make sure you check any plants you have on your windowsills too!

Aphids are impressive creatures in many respects, they reproduce stupidly easily and fast. I want to like them but they cause me too much stress in the garden lol.

interesting, I have salvinia natans that grows furiously in my tanks; i'll need to check for this.

Hi all,
At least the fish will be getting extra snacks.
Just submerge the plants (I tuck them under stems etc.) the fish will cotton on pretty fast.

I often feed the <"fish aphids in the summer">, they are much appreciated. You can pinch of the dead leaves from the Salvinia fronds first.

I have male by-catch Copella (probably C. eigenmanni), and he hunts any "green fly" that make it on to the leaf pads of Salvinia or Limnobium, it is a bit like the an <"Orca hunting for Seals">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks folks. I think I have the problem under control. I checked the nearby plants and sure enough one of the ferns that is in a corner basket in the tank, was loaded with aphids. I'd been looking at it thinking that it wasn't doing too well, but just thought it was struggling with being emersed. Anyway as most of the leaves has curled, I have removed them. There are a few new shoots trying to push up, so I'll give it a second chance.
For the salvinia natans I've removed the brown leaves, I think that has been the cause of the surface scum lately.
I must admit this or the first case of aphids that I've had a problem with in the house - normally a garden pest, that gets treated with a bit of soapy water. Well hopefully the fish have had a treat.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Back