• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil too much shimmer

Ryan Thang To

Hi
I was wondering if there was any thing i can use or diy something that can reduce the shimmer. I have 2 kessil a360 and the shimmer is getting annoying now. Kessil do have a light diffuser but only for the ap700 model and they are going for £50.

My tank is 4ft long and i have 2 filter that make a lot of ripple so guys if you know let me know please

Cheers
Ryan

There are three methods.

1. Reduce point source light. Ie add more or add diffusers.
2. Reduce reflection off water. Add a tank cover with diffuse glass/frosted
3. Reduce surface rippling.

4. Add floating vegitation :)

Hello everyone

Thanks for taking your time to help me. I didn't make my self clear i meant i wanted to make something that i can attach to the kessil to get less shimmer

I don't want to add anything over the tank as that will be ugly.

I was wondering if there was anything like arcylic or some sort if glass i don't know. Kessil is using some sort of silicon which let light go through and spread the light out

This is my tank
20161117_091039.jpg

I would like too but they block too much light
Why would that be? You at least can reduce the shimmer a bit, since the plants will all be pushed to the right side of the tank.. I do not realy see any high light demanding plants there.. :)

I guess a frosted cover in front of the lamp will block maybe as much light and it might not reduce the shimmer. The shimmer is created by the water surface movement. I have a simular setup as yours with 5 bundles of light instead of 2 and also have shimmer. Half of my tanks surface is covered with floaters the other side at the filter outlet is pushed free from it by the flow. Even if i reduce the light strenght by 80% at this side there still is about the same shimmer. Under the floaters (right side) there also still is a shimmer from the spreading of the lamps at the far left but it's much less.

As long as there is a surface riple there will be shimmer.. And bundled lights like LED gives more shimmer.

But beautifull tank you have there :thumbup:.. Some hygroryza aristata would look terrific imho.. And very easy to controll..

Why would that be? You at least can reduce the shimmer a bit, since the plants will all be pushed to the right side of the tank.. I do not realy see any high light demanding plants there.. :)

I guess a frosted cover in front of the lamp will block maybe as much light and it might not reduce the shimmer. The shimmer is created by the water surface movement. I have a simular setup as yours with 5 bundles of light instead of 2 and also have shimmer. Half of my tanks surface is covered with floaters the other side at the filter outlet is pushed free from it by the flow. Even if i reduce the light strenght by 80% at this side there still is about the same shimmer. Under the floaters (right side) there also still is a shimmer from the spreading of the lamps at the far left but it's much less.

As long as there is a surface riple there will be shimmer.. And bundled lights like LED gives more shimmer.

But beautifull tank you have there :thumbup:.. Some hygroryza aristata would look terrific imho.. And very easy to controll..
hey thanks the tank is over 10 weeks old now. hygroryza aristata is a nice plants do they over take the tank?

hey thanks the tank is over 10 weeks old now. hygroryza aristata is a nice plants do they over take the tank?
They can be pretty fast growing and is a very hungry plant and like a rather high NPK regime to flourish realy well. But with it's larger leaf size it is also a very easy plant to control with trimming so they do not take away to much light.. This is different if you combine these with salvinai and duckweed as i did, this can become a very tight surface mass and can block light significantly, i notice with some taxiphyllum peacock moss growing slower and even reducing in mass while the surface layer gets denser. But with hygroryza aristata as single floater i didn't have these issues. :)

Surface vegitation is great in many aspects.. For example 50cm high tanks are regarding our light specs deep. But compaired to nature this is still relatively shallow. And i have only 35 cm high tank and notice some barbs which stay rather at the substrate level with a free surface, being all over the tank when there is sufficient surface coverage. :) Even the shrimps hang around in the roots of anything floating or near the surface and sometimes i even see them climb partialy emersed to sunbade in the lights.

Unfortunately i yet not managed to get a real clear macro picture from it, still on the hunt for that.
DSCF7961.jpg

Back