• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cherry shrimp

simon Coram

I put in 45 little ones last night I've only seen about 10 today, are they good hiders or been good fish food for my Neons and glowlights.

There are lots off hiding spaces and i can't believe how fast they move.

If they were very small then they could well of been eaten but that also depends on the amount of hiding places?
I don't think there are many fish who would turn down a tasty shrimp if it will fit in their mouth.
In my tank I still get the odd baby shrimp that survives to adulthood but considering I have dozens of breeding shrimp the odds are low.
Fingers crossed they are just hiding for the time being.

Thanks I put them in when it was lights out. They was about 1 cm let's hope the big boys and girls survive. I'm hoping they are having a party behind the wood. The glowlights do seem happy and content though

They will quite often moult when placed in new water, and will go into hiding while they complete this. Also they will initially be very weary of the fish in the tank as they probably have been raised in a fish free tank, so you may not see much of them for a few weeks. They will then become more confident. I have a number of yellow cherries in with some panda cory's and the shrimp will fight the pandas for the food pellets.

Hope you drip acclimatised them - if not you could have wiped out the lot depending on the water parameters.

Yep I driped them for a few hours. Just had another look with a torch and found a few more under some weed and wood. So looks like they are hiding which they came from a shrimp tank.

I placed about 40 of them in a 110 litre tank with fish definitively eating shrimp.. :) I have a large piece of wood whit lots of nooks and cranies laying on the substrate, under this wood is compaired with the shrimps a complete labyrinth of caves for them where no fish can get to them.. At one point i thought i lost almost all of them, but they are excelent miners and seem to love dark caves. Now a year later i have to much addults to count and no idea how many are dwelling in the cave labyrinth.. So it seems if provided with sufficient hiding places they breed faster than the fish can eat them.. :)

Back