• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 Regulator

AlexH

Hey guys,

So I am on my journey to starting my CO2 System!

I am communicating with a member of the forum regarding a Regulator.

I've agreed a nice round price of £30 inc postage (he's also very kindly agreed to throw in a bubble counter!)

Whilst the price is perfect, as I'm a newbie, I just wanted to get some feedback on the reg :)

I have first asked the sellers permission before making this post - I didn't want to come across disrespectfully! He has very kindly agreed.

So the Reg i'm contemplating is http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/regulator-set-refillable-co2-bottle

I would love some feedback guys :)

Thank you!
Alex

Haven't used it before so can't comment on the quality, but it's a single stage regulator which means when the bottle starts to run out, depending how low the CO2 gets, you will experience an 'end of tank dump' - read up about this, lots of info available.

Needless to say, you don't want this to happen, you will suffer casualties.

However... it has only been in very recent years that twin stage regs have been affordable & many thousands of us still use single stage regs with no issues.
As long as you keep an eye on the pressure gauges there should not be a problem.
However again... if I were to but a new reg I would but a twin stage.

Haven't used it before so can't comment on the quality, but it's a single stage regulator which means when the bottle starts to run out, depending how low the CO2 gets, you will experience an 'end of tank dump' - read up about this, lots of info available.

Needless to say, you don't want this to happen, you will suffer casualties.

This just isn't true. I'm not saying it doesn't / can't happen, I had a cheap regulator that was prone to it so I used to change the bottle once the pressure started to drop off. Fortunately I didn't lose any fish as I don't run my Co2 on the limit. The regulators I've had since don't do it. If every single stage did it then nobody would be buying them and this forum alone would be full of tales of disaster.

This just isn't true. I'm not saying it doesn't / can't happen, I had a cheap regulator that was prone to it so I used to change the bottle once the pressure started to drop off. Fortunately I didn't lose any fish as I don't run my Co2 on the limit. The regulators I've had since don't do it. If every single stage did it then nobody would be buying them and this forum alone would be full of tales of disaster.

I did recently make a post RE dual stage regs.

However, if youre saying the reg ive been offered is okay - ill simply secure that device.

I was intending on having a "cut off" mark before re-filling the FE in any event to prevent EOTD.

My advice would be if you can afford a dual stage regulator than get one. It should remove any concerns about end of tank dump.

But to say that all single stage regs will cause end of tank dump is in my opinion incorrect.

My attitude is that anyone who runs a single stage reg, with live stock in the tank, should assume that it will EOTD and not just hope for the best. Otherwise you're pretty reckless in my opinion.

Is EOTD prevented by simply ensuring the tank doesnt run empty?

Does either of the two gauges indicate that on a single stage regs?

I've let my CO2supermarket single stage regulator run right down to an empty FE no EOTD. Being single stage as soon as bottle pressure drops the bps rate starts falling meaning FE needs changing. At around 500psi the bps rate is noticable lower and drop checker moving from yellow/green to green.

There are many so called single stage regulators that in fact are not actually pressure regulators but really flow regulators. They consist of either a metal sponge or pin hole that reduce the flow, and work acceptably when bottle pressure is high but lose regulation as bottle pressure falls leading to EOTD. The EOTD isn't a problem when bottle is 95gr disposable or possibly 300gr welding bottle as the EOTD is quite small (also handy if welding as excess gas flow indicates bottle is getting empty) BUT when using 2Kg FE the EOTD can be quite a volume, enough to raise ppm significantly above 30ppm.

Personally I have not had any issue with my single stage regulator works fine with my in line diffuser and can vary bubble rate from blue drop checker to a very yellow drop checker. What more can one ask for?

Back