• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting break.

simon Coram

I've had my tank set up for a few weeks now and have the lights on for 6 hours to start with. Now I've read somewhere about a light break in the middle so say about 4 hours on 4 off then another 4 on while leaving the co2 on. Is there any advantage to this? Having fish in the tank will it just confuse the hell outa them?

This has been discussed many a time, there are a few followers & lots of disbelievers.
I think it would be fair to say this is not a popular thing to do but if you want to try then have a go.
I think a shorter siesta is normally discussed, a one or two hour break in the lighting but, I wonder if the plants would stop producing oxygen after a short while without light & if that might jeopardise the fish if you still have the C02 running?

Last edited:
For 58yrs I've seen the sun rise, traverse the sky and then set....not once have I seen it disappear for a couple of hours in between.

Thanks I'll stick to what I've always done.
one continuous day. I did think that that plants will just start to get into the photosynthesis swing and then it stops for a bit then goes again.

Didn't or do they still advocate a lighting break at Dennerle,I think it's based on low CO2 levels used by their own system and products. It's got to have some merit if done correct ,not something I have tried

Didn't or do they still advocate a lighting break at Dennerle,I think it's based on low CO2 levels used by their own system and products. It's got to have some merit if done correct ,not something I have tried
Thats where i got the idea from one other leaflets.

Even if it is for that alledged co2 purpose i guess it is very hard to proof that it is just more then a theory.. And then if i compair it to my low tech which has a rise and fall of pH of only 0,3. That would be around 3 to 4 ppm of co2 uptake by the plants from the available 6 ppm when the lights come on.

Theoreticaly every little bit helps, if it does wonders pratcicaly?? I rather believe it was some nerdy trend ( like a rain dance) that will fade away slowly into oblivion.

Back