• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Freds new pond build

Status
Not open for further replies.
zozo ian nelson and gill all the best here is my favourite fish

smoking trout awarded to me on leaving the rig ha ha
upload_2016-10-19_10-49-10.png

2 x new ones in the window of pond
upload_2016-10-19_10-50-20.png

new garommo
upload_2016-10-19_10-54-54.png

new yellow yami ocon
upload_2016-10-19_11-5-10.png

another one of ogon
upload_2016-10-19_11-6-5.png

great picture of my Favourite fish gorommo and gin rin look at the grape affect pattern
upload_2016-10-19_11-8-43.png

thats it folks nelson my plants where growing great mate dieing of now for winter
all the best fred

Last edited:
Wow those are monster fish. How old are the biggest ones?

What a dream setup...well done!

Cheers rebel .kawdoxu. Ian. Buying bigger now. Done all the rearing for 18 years. Time to move them up quicker. Buy big and save about 3 years. Ha ha. It was a dram rascal.now it s reality.
With that rotary drum the draco inside my nexus.have not had to clean filters once. Automated with trickle in and out. So very slow water change. Ongoing all the time.
Keeps the nitrite and nitrates down. That and the upper pond plants. All the best fred.

Last edited:
i have had a problem with my skimmer line.. before i put the drum in the nexus i had to raise the water level . so the water was deeper in the skimmer box.
so what was happening the larger food was floating in the skimmer box. say a feather would nt get sucked down to the ultra sieve. only thing s like dust went down.
well today i was feeding the fish and i had a little bucket of food in my hands. looked at it and had brain think. hurt my head just thinking. ha ha.
so what i did was cut a hole in the bucket bottom and took it down and the front where the lid presses on. drop the pond water height to below skimmer box.
dried and cleaned it out. and sealed it down. with gold label sealant. and hey presto. it works brilliantly. my skimmer now sucks about a foot out into the pond and nothing stay s in the skimmer box.
when i get time i will fit a four inch piece of pipe in there. cut to same height so simple ha ha.

here is the tub with front cut down about half inch under water.
upload_2016-10-19_18-34-21.png

here it is sucking a big piece of debris down
upload_2016-10-19_18-36-26.png

brain storms are not good for the head ha ha

Hello there rebel in Aussie .how you doing. Bit warmer there then here. Love to have a pond over there mate.
No heating. Be great. The fish would develop three time s faster.all year feeding. And a couple of feeds during th night
On the age of them . I would say about. One year old . To 18 months. My new ones. I have some in the pond that are 18 years old. They get brought on in the heat. In Israel . I have a mixture of all fish. And I have both Japanese and Israel y koi. Do you have fish. And what type. Great hobby. That and my dog. Anyway mate. All the best Fred

Last edited:
Started to build nick nack s up. iE medical kit s . Bought 8 piece medical kit. Got the lot in.
Kasuri tropical treatment kit. Things inside. Masuizai koi sedate. Anti-bac treatment. Roccal wound treatment.
Orahesive protective powder. Topcoat sealer. A sprey bottom for cleaning wounds. Cotton buds.rubber gloves.
It s a start.
Also bought 14 piece surgical instrument stainless steel set. For wounds and scale removable.
Handy to have in.

Last edited:
Had a rather large ammonia spike 5 days a go. Sorted it now. It was self inflicted. I vastly over fed them. The fish.i noticed a couple leaping out the water. Like they was trying for the Olympic high jump team ha ha.
With protein foods. Should be on wheat germ now. Which I am now. That's why we test our water for parameter readings. Any way this is what I did. I bought some sodium thiosulphate. Crystal declorinator . You mix it up with warm water. Stop feeding fish for a start. Until parameters back to normal.Plan was to change 100 percent pond water.

Day 1 dumped 50 percent of water. Added 26 grams of sodium thiosulphate. You can't overdose with this stuff. We will call this ST from now.
Left it to run through filters overnight. Does not harm filter bio. So filters still stay mature.
Did more tests on parameter s knocked it down to 0.25 so getting there.

Day 2 dumped 25 percent water put 20 grams of ST. In water. Left it to run over night. Did parameter tests. BINGO.
Ammonia and nitrite zero. Which is what I wanted. So I did 80 percent water change.

Day 3. Did more tests and BINGO. Stayed at zero. Also nitrite readings zero. So now I don t need to change 100 percent .

Day four put the fish on wheat germ all season Aqua source. So back to feeding them.
Expect some ammonia readings today. Because they have been eating . so produce ammonia.
So long as it stays under 0.20 where at what I want it at.. Now I have got it stable by water changes
If it rises above that. Just don t feed until it drops down again.
Hope this give s you idea and educates some people how to get your parameters back to normal if you have ph. Ammonia. Nitrite. Nitrate. Phosphate. If there to high or low what the case maybe. That s what I do with a koi pond.

Also what added to the cause of the rise in ammonia is I have added nine new large fish. So that is nine lots of extra crud poo what ever you want to call it. Adding to the ammonia spike rise. All the best Fred

I have a nexus filter with k1 media in the outer chamber for bio. And cleaning.
I have ran this with just half the amount that should be in there. Your supposed to. Until your
Filter matures. Now it has matured, I have now added 50 litres of K1 to the filter. So now that has got the full amount it should have inside the filter. Took 7 months. Slow I know. But it's got there. Just in time for winter.

Also on my skimmer line I put a tub in for. Better suction.i have took this out and added a 4 inch pressure pipe about 1 inch from surface inside skimmer. Works perfect. God I am good . Ha ha. To all the people I have made friends with on this site. Hello and have a great week. All the best Fred

here is some photos from the pieces of journal that has just been written

this was colour when it failed ammonia test should be yellow max 0.25
its of the scale
upload_2016-10-30_5-37-39.png

this is the water colour it should be yellow for pass on ammonia
it is great so it read 0.0 if you compare with chart above
upload_2016-10-30_5-34-59.png

nitrite reading 0.0 brill
upload_2016-10-30_5-42-23.png

thats it on water quality

Last edited:
nexus 320 with new media k1 50 liters been added snow white
mature k1 darker colour.

upload_2016-10-30_5-44-49.png

new telescopic 8 foot net bought put against summer house
to give you a gauge on size, remember pond 6 ft 4 inch
upload_2016-10-30_5-47-43.png

bucket been took away from skimmer and 4 inch pipe sealed in
when i get time i will scrape sealant away that held bucket
a lot better
upload_2016-10-30_5-50-52.png

thats it folks more to come when i t ake photos

Last edited:
the dechlorinator crystals put in 26 grams
roughly for 2000 gallons . can t overdose with this stuff
upload_2016-10-30_6-10-46.png

medical kit
upload_2016-10-30_6-12-19.png

14 piece surgical stainless steel set
upload_2016-10-30_6-14-21.png

thats it folks just some of the gear i am building up for the future
hope i never have to use it. micro scope and digital scales next on list
for scrapes and to look for any ailments on fish
all the best fred

Last edited:
cheers tim still got shed to have built. and electrics to install into summer house and hot tub
then that s the garden completed. no rush though as winters here now. yes mate the fish are nice mate.
mimimum was 15 inches in size. all the best fred

Cheers lads for looksy
have a good week.my parameters have now stayed nice and stable. get in there.got my new micro scope put picture on when I get five minutes.
Also moved trickle in. to upper pond from exit from nexus. reason was I believe the chlorine was getting into the bio chamber of the nexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back