• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Losing my enthusiasm!!!

aquamania

I've been keeping a planted tank for 10 years, but recently have been beginning to lack enthusiasm for tank maintenance. I religiously keep my weekly maintenance routine but lately it's been becoming a bit of a chore having to balance it with family commitments. This feeling is also partly possibly due to an ongoing battle I've been having with cyano.

My tank is 200l maidenhead oak and i am wondering whether to take a break from keeping a tank or to down size to something more manageable.

Anyone got any views?

Keeping a planted tank ongoing for a decade is amazing - rare that you see such longterm setups! Either plan is an idea? I took down mine when expecting my daughter & couldnt maintain weekly big water changes (240l) and I aways missed it, so I set up a 60l tank 2 years ago & got my big tank running again this year & am very happy with it ☺ A smaller tank is no bother as far as maintenance goes - I've 20 nanos as well now & really enjoy them! Perhaps an additional nano may rejuvenate your interest in your big tank? Either way, imho if you've a love for the hobby - you miss it when it's not there (even just a little!)

I'd downsize, and do low tech; lower lighting etc, may just re-ignite your passion for the hobby.

Even something like the dennerle scapers tank 50l. Can create something beautiful, but manageable :)

Understand we're you are coming from. Work away from home myself so had to fold marine tank. Missed the relaxation watching the tank provided me though. Have just started a smaller tank couple of moths ago, dennerle 50l scrapers as it happens (spooky). Am glad I did.

Beat the cyano first. Then, if you still feel the same way, take a break. I felt exactly the same way and gave up my marine tank 5 years ago. I hated my tank at the time and it was such a relief when I finally pulled the plug.

Now I'm back and loving it once again. The excitement of a new tank, learning a new hobby, it's great :)

Think most of us have been where you are at one time or another.

I find the best bet to just make something really manageable to keep in the current tank you have.... think ferns, crypts, anubias etc with a low bioload. Currently I also struggle with time for the big tank so made it a paludarium, just 1/4 filled with water, few splash tetra and emergent growth from echinodorus and anubias, super simple and only 1 small water change each month (journal around somewhere that needs updating if you want to have a .

Sooner or later you will want to go balls deep again......

Think most of us have been where you are at one time or another.

I find the best bet to just make something really manageable to keep in the current tank you have.... think ferns, crypts, anubias etc with a low bioload. Currently I also struggle with time for the big tank so made it a paludarium, just 1/4 filled with water, few splash tetra and emergent growth from echinodorus and anubias, super simple and only 1 small water change each month (journal around somewhere that needs updating if you want to have a .

Sooner or later you will want to go balls deep again......

Poetic lol

The fact that you're actually asking the question means that you haven't completely lost it. Otherwise this would have been a thread after the fact....:)
The regular tank a simple system. Its water, filters, plants and fish.
The most annoying at times is perhaps water changes and filter maintenance. Then the other bits come depending on ones idea of aesthetics and needs, i.e. trimming plants, cleaning algae, cleaning the substrate, etc.. But if the tank is set up correctly in the first place, you may not need cleaning filters in months(have a prefilter on the intake you can wash more often) In a low tech tank you can completely stop trimming for months and let it overgrow. You can completely stop syphoning the substrate for years. You can feed the fish just 3-4 times a week and they'll be completely healthy. You can set the light on a timer. You can forget about ferts.

The only bit you can't not do is slack on water changes. For that a python system is best. On a 200l tank I'd do 50% water change in 10min with just having to flip a switch in between siphoning water out and filling it back up. You won't even have time to get the coffee ready...

As for the cyano, if you feel battling it, its always organics related plus low oxygen. If the tank is old, there's a build up of it somewhere, be it in the substrate, filters, etc..Do a complete blackout for 3-4 days, then a large clean and a couple of large water changes. Get a bit more surface agitation going. Feed the fish a lot less afterwards, reduce the amount of light and then as long as you do weekly water changes, the cyano will eventually die down completely. Just ignore it while it lasts and keep doing your regular water changes. It can kill plants but won't kill the fish.

By the time you do all that and wait it out, perhaps you'll forget you lost interest :)

If the water changes are the problem, with or without a python or similar method to make it easier, perhaps its time to pull the plug, at least as far as fish go. A planted only tank could be a great enjoyment not having to worry about living things inside.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

Thanks for all the comments, they've certainly given me a lot to think about. I Think I'm going to stick with it for a bit longer and see if I can get this cyano on the run. I have been thinking about going low tech for a bit so this maybe an option just not sure how to cut out my co2 without causing major issues.

Thanks again.

I think I'd just go low-maintenance...use "easy" plants like Iain suggests, and just feed in enough CO2 to turn the drop checker green. Reduce light intensity and/or duration, and reduce fertz etc.

You'll find a new lower maintenance equilibrium, which will mean far less water changes and trimming etc, but it will keep your plants happy, and maybe help in the battle against cyano.

Take a look at George's tutorial http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/how-to-plant-a-low-maintenance-nature-aquarium.42123/

I've been meaning to go there myself for sometime now, and probably will very soon...I'm loosing my religion with high-energy maintenance as well, a bit;)

Last edited:
Back