• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Pinnacle' - AlexH

AlexH

Hey guys...

So this is day 1 of my first scape!

My spec is...

180L Custom Built Maidenhead Tank
Fluval 406 - 2.5kg of Biohome Ultimate
2x T5 35W Hi lite daylight
9l of JBL Volcano mineral beneath ADA Amazonia

w20ni9.jpg

Its become a little cloudy.... How long will this take to settle?

2ihle0k.jpg

(Sorry for the repeat post - I couldn't find a way to delete my first post - hopefully a moderator will see this and remove it :) )

Thanks for feedback and advice!

Alex

Update:

I've had the filter running overnight and the cloudiness still hasn't cleared much.

It arose after I had to push the wood into the substrate in-situ.

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated!

Alex

Yup - right now I'm letting the Amazonia leech ammonia to cycle the tank. In about 4 weeks I'm going to fully drain the tank, plant up, then re-fill :)

Just be patient and it should get there.

Why not use plants to absorb ammonia in the meantime? I'm not saying you should... just want to know if there is a reason, because I plan to use ADA Amazonia soon.

Yup - right now I'm letting the Amazonia leech ammonia to cycle the tank. In about 4 weeks I'm going to fully drain the tank, plant up, then re-fill :)
You shouldn't, plants love amonia and that would jump start them.

I was advised by the Green machine to let the ammonia stabilise for 4 weeks before adding plants...?

Heard this before?

Hmmm

Im not sure!

Im not in a position to get a CO2 system yet .... was going to use this time to mature the filter!

I know it's a problem for fish and inverts... I just don't know why it would be a problem for plants...
Although, now that I think of it, there was something on Diana Walstad's book that said something about this. But from what I remember, it says that 6 weeks (not sure about the number) was the minimum amount of cycle time with noticeable improvements in the plants.

Update...

So day 3...

2uy3qra.jpg

Water has, thankfully, cleared considerably. The ammonia ans nitrate readings are starting to rocket. So hopefully the filter media will start to buzz with the life of new bacteria! I am considering a 50% water change today as there is a "soil" smell filling my living room which isnt pleasant for guests. Apparently this clears after a couple of water changes.

Below is a couple of pictures of a parts of my wood landscape... seems as though there is a biofilm starting to form... hopefully this will also pass after they breakdown whatever it is theyre after!

2v9qljk.jpg

2ebsaba.jpg

But on a positive note... the colour of the rocks is really starting to show!

111pgs9.jpg

2ls8waw.jpg

So questions...

1) Am i right in thinking this tank still has a haze? Or is this as clear as the water is going to get?
2) What recognisable changes happen, by virtue of which, you can see that its starting to cycle?

Thanks!

So guys... almost a week on.

First water major change... brushed off some biofilm but couldnt clear it all.

20161020_211546.jpg

What do people think about the positioning of my lily pipes? Any good gor circulation purposes?

Feedback appreciated!

Thanks!!

So...

Finally concluded on a name for the scape...

Because of the piece of bogwood creating a left sided triangle with a point that reaches the top of the tank... ive named my first venture into aquascaping...

"Pinnacle" :)

So...

Not sure what day im on.... but the tank is cycling nicely, no more ammonia or nitrite!

Ive also planted my first plants! Just waiting on my CO2 kit to arrive (ordered it in pieces, lol)

My first plants are Ludwigia Palustris :) i like the red colour they will eventually develop :)

2rdzygk.jpg

And a close up...

2qtb95v.jpg

Ive just received a batch of Weeping Moss which i aim to attach to the tip of my pinnacle in the tank (the bogwood in the second picture) and im going to create a moss tree from a piece of the spider wood :)

Any thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Just by way of an update... so far.. I've added some weeping moss on Saturday... not sure if it's weeping yet tbh... lol

30847314112_b035beba73_b.jpg

I've attached some moss to filter foam on this branch of my spider wood in the hope it'll grow downward...

30928158016_514da81e94_b.jpg

I've also attached some to the top of my bogwood - hence why I've named this scape, 'Pinnacle'. Again, I'm wanting this to really grow down and create an effect of the moss being draped on either side of the bogwood.

22785186448_3640138a5b_b.jpg

Finally, my wife added a small stone with some moss attached.

30963787655_5488de790c_b.jpg

I've tried to focus my camera on the plants at the back... I can't tell if they're developing yet tbh. They appear to be producing a nice red pigment - but time will tell!

Welcome any thoughts and ideas, as always!

Thanks!

So...

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of all of my CO2 kit tomorrow and Wednesday... ready to input CO2 in the system!

I came across a plant... Bucephalandra Arrogant Blue - I couldn't resist. So I've made the purchase and glued a piece onto some bogwood.

30949439876_e0d3b853cc_b.jpg

22808061458_1979b12610_b.jpg

I can't wait for this to grow... I've got my light blasting it. I am intending to make a further purchase of 2 T5 35W Nature Hi Lite bulbs around Dec/Jan time.

I've moved the two I've currently got around (they're daylight) - so now the plants are exposed to more light :)

As always, welcoming any feedback!

Have i attached a Bucephalandra correctly to the bogwood?

Ive used a small spot of superglue and put the rhizome on the bogwood.

Back