• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sumped Tank

JimB123

Seedling
Hi All,

I am shutting down my reef tank to setup a planted killifish setup I plan to reuse the tank its a clearseal reefspace 900S, I am not 100% sure what media to use in the sump I am guessing some floss and sponges then after that I will have no idea I have some siporax laying around but is there any good examples I can have a look at or some suggestions for media?

Many Thanks

It is not really that important what you use but plastic bio balls are low maintenance & easy to clean.
You don't mention if you will be using a C02 system? I am not familiar with a "clearseal reefspace 900S" is that 900 litres?
The thing with a nicely set up & flourishing planted tank, is that the plants do a lot of filtering themselves so huge amounts of high tech filter media is not required.

Thanks the tank is 225 litres 900mm wide I am planning to use CO2 as well

Guessing I can just use what I have saves a few quid thanks :)

It wont save you a few quid on gas though as sumps can be C02 hungry!
Imagine a glass of fizzy water, pour that water into another class & repeat a few times.. before long you will have no fizz. Just like your tank & sump!
However that might not be an issue, as long as you except you might use more C02, because sumps still work very well with a planted tank.

I agree with foxfish that media plastic balls would be fine for a planted killiefish setup.

Back