• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Help me scape a challenge - long and low

Aqua360

Hi all,

I don't know if anyone is familiar with the ADA 120F, a long low tank with the dimensions 120x30x20.

I've decided to order an optiwhite with the exact same dimensions, but realise while this will be a good opportunity to be fun and creative; it will also be potentially very challenging.

I previously had a 109x27x27, that I abandoned as it was float glass, with a distracting rim; as well as other issues including the flow distribution, and lighting. At the time, I hadn't used a canister filter, only a weak hob; and the light sat directly on top of the tank.

Also on a tank of this size, evaporation and co2 would be a definite issue, so liquid carbon may be the only solution.

I think the main things I'm concerned with right now, is the filtration and lighting options. I suspect that a canister is the best option, perhaps 600-700lph to give me 10x turnover.

For lighting, I'd perhaps planned to use hanging clips such as the ones shown here, in tandem with an led bar and dimmer.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easypet-L...ustable-7-13cm-Wide-Light-250cm-/221801647652

I hope we can get a good discussion going, as I'm definitely going to need some experienced input if I'm to do this tank any justice!

Thanks

ada 120f.jpg

Guys,

can anyone please recommend a filter for this size of tank? I'm pretty much set on a canister, around 600-700lph, but wondered a couple of things:

- which brands are compatible hose wise with lily pipes and glassware
- can the hoses be extended at what will be 2-3 feet either side, to accommodate the tank width, without losing flow etc? I'm assuming logically, that it would make more sense to have the output flow nearer to the canister as a shorter hose, and have the inlet as the longer hose?

Guys,

can anyone please recommend a filter for this size of tank? I'm pretty much set on a canister, around 600-700lph, but wondered a couple of things:

- which brands are compatible hose wise with lily pipes and glassware
- can the hoses be extended at what will be 2-3 feet either side, to accommodate the tank width, without losing flow etc? I'm assuming logically, that it would make more sense to have the output flow nearer to the canister as a shorter hose, and have the inlet as the longer hose?
I am sure that you'll need two canisters. With this tanks size I might choose Eheim classic 600 and classic 350

I am sure that you'll need two canisters. With this tanks size I might choose Eheim classic 600 and classic 350

Interesting...do you mean for flow? as the tank volume in itself is rather low...around 60-70 litres

Interesting...do you mean for flow? as the tank volume in itself is rather low...around 60-70 litres
Yes, I do. I am not sure how you will set the layout but with shallow tank hardscape might block water current. So you'll need two from two sides

Yes, I do. I am not sure how you will set the layout but with shallow tank hardscape might block water current. So you'll need two from two sides

how would you advise positioning the flow outputs? One at the end, one at the middle, pointing to far end? Or two pointing inwardly?

how would you advise positioning the flow outputs? One at the end, one at the middle, pointing to far end? Or two pointing inwardly?

Have you decided tank layout? It will decide your flow input and output. However each canister will make a complete and full water circle for half of the tank. Perhaps you don't need a 600 and 350 but two 350

Have you decided tank layout? It will decide your flow input and output. However each canister will make a complete and full water circle for half of the tank. Perhaps you don't need a 600 and 350 but two 350

not yet, I'm setting pen to paper for a good while before I dive in, I'm thinking of emulating the style seen in "crimson skies" below which is more of a middle island style.

crimson sky.jpg

not yet, I'm setting pen to paper for a good while before I dive in, I'm thinking of emulating the style seen in "crimson skies" below which is more of a middle island style.

View attachment 91408
I watched this video. If you have some space in background for water flow then look for two-input and one-output canister. Two inputs at left and right sides and output in the middle

I watched this video. If you have some space in background for water flow then look for two-input and one-output canister. Two inputs at left and right sides and output in the middle

I didn't actually realise canisters with hoses like that existed? Are you familiar with any models or brands with this function?

I didn't actually realise canisters with hoses like that existed? Are you familiar with any models or brands with this function?
You can find it in Eheim professional model. I have one catalogue at home. Will check it tonight and let you know the model. Fluval also has similar product but let me ask local dealer here for model name

You can find it in Eheim professional model. I have one catalogue at home. Will check it tonight and let you know the model. Fluval also has similar product but let me ask local dealer here for model name

thanks! i'll need to get googling these different models lol

Just checked with Fluval dealer. They don't have such model but Eheim Pro. 3 1200XL does :-s and cost is really a major factor

That kind of filter in such tank will make a muddy puddle out of it if turned on a maximum flow rate.

I had a check of the filter green machine used for this tank, apparently it sits (both outflow and inlet) at the middle of the tank, and is rated at roughly 350lph using the ADA superjet 600 I believe.

That kind of filter in such tank will make a muddy puddle out of it if turned on a maximum flow rate.

Agree. I am using a Classic 250 for one nano tank and flow is adjusted to 2/3 of max rate

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a check of the filter green machine used for this tank, apparently it sits (both outflow and inlet) at the middle of the tank, and is rated at roughly 350lph using the ADA superjet 600 I believe.

In the picture with James it tells the difference. I can see two outlets and one inlet. Not sure where is the other inlet. It might be behind the biggest rock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO, we should arrange the filter outlet and inlet in the way that the flow circulation can reach all parts of the tank and avoid "dead points" where water current is not there. By arranging like that, fertilizer and CO2 will be distributed all over the tank, hence plants will grow better and also partially prevent algae to develop.

So, it is up to your hardscape arrangement to arrange inflow and outflow pipes accordingly, with the main purpose as said above. I think with the low-profile tank of yours, total filter rate about 600-700l/hr should be sufficient. Since the tank is long, you can have 2 smaller filters like Eheim classic 2213 or Eheim Ecco Pro 130 (save energy in longterm using and no need to buy additional double taps to adjust the flow).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back