• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Expensive Fish Food?

Koach

Seedling
Howdy all,

I bought 6-8 red cherry shrimp about a month ago and haven't seen them much of them since. Do you think they've ended up as food for the fish, hiding or passed on? if they've been eaten, would a bigger species like Amano's fare better?

Fish: khuli loaches (9), cardinal tetras (20 odd), gold tetras (12), three line corys (2).

the tank is well planted and i'm dosing EI at about 1/2 the suggested dose, no CO2 (where's sub-script!), no liquid carbon.

Thanks in advance.

I have cherries with khulis and neons, started with a dozen and now they are everywhere

Hi Koach, if it can fit in the fish mouth - it may become food... that being said, I think if there is adequate safe havens for a breeding colony to establish (moss/carpet) you may be able to maintain a balance?

The only fish I think are safe to keep are oto catfish which take no interest whatsoever in shrimp.
You'll probably find they are hiding and may in time show themselves if they feel secure - as Manisha suggests a good helping of moss in the tank provides cover and also is the perfect place for shrimp to let their eggs hatch into.
Good luck!

cheers guys, forgot to mention the too's in the tank, but seems like they're not likely to be an issue.

i don't have moss, but there's plenty of hiding places for little shrimp. think i may get another batch and see what happens.

on that front, does anyone have any experience with buying shrimp off the internet?

There are a few sellers in the sponsor section whof sell shrimp who I am reliably informed are excellent. If you don't find what you are looking for from them send me a message.

cheers guys, forgot to mention the too's in the tank, but seems like they're not likely to be an issue.

i don't have moss, but there's plenty of hiding places for little shrimp. think i may get another batch and see what happens.

on that front, does anyone have any experience with buying shrimp off the internet?
If it turns out your fish have taken a taste for shrimp they will continue to dine given the opportunity.. if you happen to have a second tank and the motivation, I would definitely recommend using it as a dedicated shrimp tank. I think they're way more interesting than fish and they can be hilarious at times.

Back