• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Large tanks, how do you do water changes?

Chrispowell

Hi all,

Simple question really... How do people do their water changes, mainly how do you get the water back in the tank without disturbing things?

I see George pumps it back in from the sink using a pump/hose/ colinder.. Is this the way most do it?

Thanks

i drain the tank with a garden hose into the garden or drain. And when i fill the tank up, all i do is connect the hose to the outside tap and wait/clean up the towels/buckets etc :p

Do you stand there pointing the hose into part of the tank then? My tap pressure would destroy the tank

Have you heard of the python water changer? Available more readily here now, I used it on my 350 litre for a year, superb for large tanks; though need to watch temps, pH etc when filling straight from tap

Do you stand there pointing the hose into part of the tank then? My tap pressure would destroy the tank

You don't need to fully open the tap so should be able to create a trickle. I personally use buckets and rest them on the rim pouring the water onto my hand. A better way may be to use a small pump onto a diffuser. I've seem people use a piece of pvc pipe with lots of holes drilled all around it, connected to the pump hose.

Cheers! I have one of these stupid expanding hoses so unless it had pressure in it, it will just contract. No good

I put the hose inside this tool (don't know how its called in english) and hang it on the tank side.
Normally used for the washing machine hose to bend :)

333331-500x500.jpg

On the end of the hose inside the aquarium i put a filter inlet strainer.

s-l225.jpg

This way the water won't flush away all the plants, sand etc :)

I use garden hose for large water changes and for top off/smaller water changed I have a 3w pump that fits inside a 25l can in which I have conditioned water ready to go

For my 210 gallon (794l) I use an old eheim pump which is plumbed with pvc to a male hose thread. The garden hose connects here and the water is pumped out to the yard. To refill I connect the other end of the hose to the sink with a female/female hose adapter and leave the pump on the tank end. The pump keeps the water from rushing out and destroying my scape.

Back