• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Removing fishing line

idris

I tied Taiwan Moss to bogwood with fishing line. The moss seems to be thickening up nicely, but there are areas where the fishing line will always be visible.
So how long should I need to leave it tied on before I can be confident that it doesn't need the fishing line any more?

Comes across silly, but the answer is till the moss attached.. :) If your not confident and left no place to pull and feel if it is attached, i would leave it on as long as possible. Usualy a few weeks will do, depending on te moss and the wood.. But i have some wood in the the tank where taxiphyllum attaches happily at the left side and at the other side of the same wood it doesn't, not even after 8 months. :shifty:

In my case it's obvious if i look closely, where it attaches it creeps over the wood, where it doesn't attach it banches away from the wood.

There is fishing line and fishing line. Use fluorocarbon tippet, it can be bought very small diameter (google Orvis Mirage) it is close to the refractive index of water and is thus less easily seen.

Tom

I have used spare, unwanted 4lbs Dennan in the tank. I've used fluorocarbon in the past, but didn't get on well with it. Copolymer is better IMHO but I find good old fashioned Maxima Ultragreen is hard to beat.;)

good old fashioned Maxima Ultragreen is hard to beat

I can tell you, i had some fishing rods, nice stuff (King Carp - with shitmano biomaster first edition with Maxima fishing line on it) last time i fished was 16 years ago, 10 years ago i gave all my fishing gear to my nephew because it was laying around catching dust instead of catching fish.. Anyway he fished with it for for over 7 years till he changed the line.. Added all up that Maxima line held for far over a decade and he sad he could go even longer if he liked. Not sure if they still make it like that.

But i still had some Dyneema left 0.10 mm Moss green and used it to tie plants to hardware... I can tell you again.. This is what you want, it is perfect.. Give it a go and you will definitely experience the same.. Wrote it in different replies this stuff is it.. It's slick and normal knots keep sliding it never gets stuck. (It requires special knots to get full strenght out of it, anglers know). It is strong, it is green, it is braided, so mosses etc. can attach to it.. It lasts forever, but since it over grows you wont see it anymore, if you see it anyhow because its moss green and braided structure it looks rather like a moss strain.

Dyneema was a typical accidental Eureka for me. :woot: I would never came to the idea to use it if i hadn't it just laying around and nothing else in the hous.. Once you try it you'll never go back. :thumbup:

My reply was partly in jest.

I used what I had in my fishing bag that was least likely to get used for fishing. I don't imagine I'll be needing more than a couple of meters for anchoring moss again in the next few years.

Some of the mono I used would almost certainly remain visible even with braided tippet, due to the shape of the bogwood.

As for Ultragreen - that remains my choice for fishing. ;)

I much prefer using elasticated bait line, in clear.
Mainly used for sea fishing to tie on soft bait while casting.
Cheap as chips, easy to use, doesn't damage plant roots, hardly visible and most importantly rots away after a few months underwater.

Yeah, I know that, but if it's not a problem for it to have rotted away in a few months, it's not needed any more, so whether I've used nylon, co-poly, fluro, SWR or boot laces, it means anything that is still there can probably be removed after a few months without fear the moss will float away.
Which is what I wanted to know.

Back