• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nede help choosing plants for light roots

F. Jeppesen

My tank has been sitting empty for the last month or so. I've been trying to pick out a layout and plants that suits my taste. But it is proving harder than expected.
First of all. My tank is 60x45x40 which makes the scape i was originally aiming for hard to create.
Most of my inspiration has come from two of Tom Barr's amazing scapes. These two in particular.
http://s110.photobucket.com/user/licliczzz/media/180staruogyne1.jpg.html
http://i43.tinypic.com/14szig7.jpg

I wanted a root that makes natural sections in the scape. However i couldn't find any dark roots that did that without taking up every inch of space. But after weeks of searching i found the perfect roots that gave the look i was looking for. Problem is, they are really light.
nLjX2KT.jpg

I have decided to abandon my original plan, which was a really colorful semi dutch scape. I have quite a few years of experience in the hobby. But dutch style just seem way to big a challenge for me.
The staurogyno repens heavy scape he made seems like a rather good fit. A good portion underneath the roots will be filled with repens, and then some moss covering the roots here and there.
I was thinking about adding a band of Alternathere reineckii mini around the roots where there is space in between. But i've tried using them before in this tank, and they just seem to get way too large leaves for it to look semi decent.

And finally here is my question. Can you help me pick out plants that would suit the scape i am trying to create, and still compliment the lighter coloured roots? I still haven't found any good inspiration. They don't seem to be used that often in these types of scapes.
I hope my post makes sense. Otherwise i'll try to elaborate what you don't understand. :)

To be honest, i think im just really confused. I really enjoy the dutch style, and they look "easier" to recreate. But i just don't have the time to maintain them.
And the red moor root i choose for this layout seem more suitable for a natural style aquarium. And my plant knowledge is still quite limited. They are so overwhelming.
Aaaand, could an admin edit my title .. Need, not nede..

I would try some moss, Microsorum or Hygrophila pinnatifida for your roots.
The wood will darken down.

Back