• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Advice on new light setup

I have just treated myself to some new lighting, Kessil A160we Tuna Sun with mounting arm. Before I install it I would like to plan the height to install it at, and a start plan for the intensity when installed.
At the moment I have a Dennerle 24 watt Scaper led 6 inches over a 50lt Scaper tank (45x36x31cm), with medium growing plants. I have just got it balanced after a bad diatoms for several weeks, and then running out co2, so I hope to make the change without any problems.
Mounting the light in the centre of the tank will not be no problem, with height from 1 to 12 inches, all good there. Being such a small tank i will not need the light to high for the coverage, but at the same time I still want to be able to control the intensity. I am thinking of starting the light at a height around 8-9 inches, as the tank it self is only 31cm high. As for the intensity setting, maybe start around 30% and see how things go. I don't have the controller, my budget wouldn't go that far, so it will be controlled by the knobs on the unit.
Well that's the plan but would really like to heard your views as I am a newbie, and it's always good to get a second option!

I'd start at 50% then work forwards from there.

I have lots of experience killing plants due to not enough light. If they start to go pale, then eventually transparent, you don't have enough light.

I now run my 3 TMC LED 400's without a controller (100%) about 5 inches from the surface and don't have any algae issues.

I'd place the A160W 10 - 12 inch high if easy to do, otherwise whatever you're planning is likely fine
Begin with 30% & see how that compares with the light levels you're currently running - I'm assuming you can have both lights set up on the tank at the same time, look at illumination patterns in both day & night
If you're able to increase your CO2 (livestock?) I'd do this for the transition, you might also consider running low levels of CO2 outside the photoperiod (during the transition)

Photoperiod?
limit this to 5-6 h, then extend once everything seems established

If you're home for photoperiod, you can always start light at 10% or so, then increase to 30 - 40% after ~30 min, do the same at end of photoperiod (I really like to watch the tank in the evening with the Kessil "just on" - if you've the Gooseneck you can swivel the lamp away from the tank for some very nice "moonlight" effects (without that awful blue light :what: ))
Fish definitely appreciate this & likely plants as well if there is little ambient light entering tank.

Cheers Alto. Never thought about running them together for comparison. I will play around with the height when it's in place, but it won't be less then 9 inches to start with.
Co2 is running around 35ppm, after i ran out last week and had a bit of algae forming.
I have gone for the solid mounting arm as I don't want it sitting on the tank. Unfortunately I'm not home when the lights come on, and it will only be on for 6 hours.
Thanks again for your help Alto!

Well, the light has been install, and I love it. The first thing is the way it's NOT sitting on the tank, the arm comes up from behind and over. The control of the spectrum is great, I didn't think I would be bothered, but It makes so mush difference. And then there's is the control over the intensity, I never had this on my old light, which is superb. The light unit and mounting arm are very good quality, but at the price tag you would expect any thing less.
There is one thing I have noticed compared to my old light, the Dennerle 24 watt Scaper LED, it doesn't seem as bright. I'm pleased about that cause the old one always seem to be too bright.
I have setup the unit just over 6 inches for the water with the intensity around 50%, which looks good to my untrained eye. I will have to see how the plants react and adjust it from there.
One other thing, the fish seem happier to come out!

Back