• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hello from Yeovil Somerset

DelBoySmiffy

Hi there all, completely new to the fishkeeping scene(what a waste of 42 years). Bought myself a Fluval edge 23l as it was a great price so couldn't pass it up, yeah yeah yeah if I'd have known before hand how much of a pain this tank would be I don't think I would have bought it haha, but then again if I hadn't then I may not have got into the hobby. We will be getting a better and bigger tank later on in the year but can't until the car is paid off, so until then I will be doing the best I can with the edge.

Its currently set up with Carib sea substrate but the plants really aren't doing so well in there so next week I'll be getting some ada aqua soil, new tropical plants and some rocks to try my first proper aquascape. I've seen some lovely Fluval edge tanks out there so I know it is possible to achieve something nice.

My questions are

1) I have 6 ember tetra and 3 amano shrimp in the tank ATM but where is the best place to put them whist the tank is re done? Don't want the little 'family' members to get too stressed.

2) I know its not the best way but I have a co2 in a can set up, do these work firstly as for the price its really all I could afford, also have liquid carbon to add too.

3) Is there a way to get the water circulation in the edge going a bit better? Be it by the design of the scape to help or something as i read that that's important in plant growth success.

I'll post my progress as I go on here so will love some good starting advice from you experts.

Oh and another thing, where would you say is best to order stuff online for ada soil, tropical plants and some nice rocks as all I have local is a pets at home and a watermarque and they don't sell what I need.

Thanks in advance, Keith

Hi Keith and welcome.
Your critters will be ok in something like this whilst the tank is being redone http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/12553/
Try a search in Google - Fluval Edge UKAPS it should give you pretty much all the info you need e.g. http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/fluval-edge-shrimp-tank-a-few-questions.36410/
Your CO2 in a can set up should work fine, but you also have the option of doing things the low-energy way, take a look at the tutorial section.
As for purchasing all the stuff you need take a look at our sponsors, they usually all offer great products and great service at competitive prices.

How long will the critters be okay in a tub like that? And I assume I would need a heater in it?

Don't get stuck on ADA soil, Tropica & Colombo (& others) also produce some decent "Aqua Soils"
(for the Colombo line look at some of George Farmer's recent SuperFish tank journals here)

When you've got fish that need to return to the tank, ADA is my least likely as ammonia release can be significant (& enduring) - if you've a tankful of fast growing plants, these will assist with ammonia levels but this is a more likely scenario when combined with intense lighting & CO2 ... not exactly Fluval Edge style ;)
If you do use ADA, daily 50% water changes are a must for the first week or two, then alternate day etc

Note that there are some tutorials on removing the upper glass - this will void any tank warranties - and I'd not be inclined to do this on the larger Edge tanks ... but it does allow easier access to the tank & more options in aquascapes & filter placement etc

For water circulation, you don't need high flow, just good flow - stick with more open hardscape & plantscape
Tropica's System 60 can work quite well as long as lighting is low to moderate (the more light, the higher CO2 levels to balance ... & more nutrients)
Daily liquid carbon is a good CO2 support but take care to dilute this before adding to the tank re localized high concentration are not shrimp friendly

At 25 or so posts you'll have access to the Swap forum, watch for tank etc deals

Re critters in tub, you may be able to run your filter on it, also heater (I generally use a bin that is 20 - 40 litres) though if your room is warm enough, heater is optional - in this scenario, fish etc can remain in bin days - weeks; if just water in a bin with no air pump (or filter) I'd limit bin time to 12 - 24h ... more surface area (similar to the Edge dimensions) means better gas exchange even in the absence of pumps/filter, also cooler water has more dissolved gases (oxygen) so keep temp on the low side of fish acceptable range (Seriously Fish has excellent species articles).
A battery driven air pump is always a good investment as it will save fish lives in case of a power outage.

What would you say is the easiest carpeting plant for a Fluval edge?
Is anything easy with the Fluval Edge!!??!!! It is lovely though isn't it? I'm a novice and tried with moss but have just taken it out as trimming is impossible! Having said that I can recommend the Pro Scissors Nude (strange name, lost in translation perhaps?) as they are curved and reach most areas of the Edge I bought mine here: http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/pro-scissors-nude-315mm.html

Hello and welcome. For all these questions there is a relevant forum on ukaps. If you have a look through the threads in each forum you will likely find that your question has already been asked and that there are a load of answers waiting for you. If you can't find the information you are looking for you will get far more answers to your questions in the correct forum.
Good luck and remember to enjoy it!

Back