• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New DSM Iwagumi

GotCrabs

Hi all, am in the beginning/planning stages of starting a small Iwagumi display and am looking for some pointers, suggestions, comments on how to achieve a nice small show case display.

The tank is a small Aqua One Horizon 35 (35cm x 20cm x 23cm, 15l), lighting is a Ista White LED (180 LED Bulbs, 60cm), substrate is ADA Amazonia Normal, flora is 2 pots of Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo', hardscape is Pisces Seiryu Stone and all will be started off in DSM.

I've read up a bit on DSM and this is what I know so far.

Photo period of 10 to 12 hours each day.

Cover over the tank to keep moisture in with either a glass lid, cling wrap.

Fill the tank up to the substrate level, no puddles, pools.

Lightly spray each day.

Give the tank fresh air each day, eventually slightly peeling back the cover to give a constant source of CO2.

RESIST THE URGE TO FLOOD.

OK, now I'm looking for some answers, when planting, do I plant the 'MMC' or just sit it on the substrate?

Can I use a diluted fert mixed with water in the spray each day? Something like Seasol?

If there is anything else you think I should know, please feel free to share on here as I really want this to be successful.

When it's time to flood the tank, I will seriously look into a small CO2 set up as well.

Thank You.

Hi, I attempted a DSM with Monte Carlo in ADA Amazonia and the soil burnt the monte carlo. I believe it is because of the large amount of ammonia leached into the plants when the soil becomes moist. There are others on here who have achieved success with the DSM and Amazonia but they are more expert than me. You might consider flooding the tank from the start. The MC is easy to plant and I achieved a thick carpet in months. There were no floaters when I planted it and flooded the tank, just flood it very slowly. Best of luck.

Hi
You could submerge the ADA Amazonia in a bucket for a week to release excess ammonia...give 3 or 4 water changes in that time then you could probably use it!
I would go for 14 to 16 hour lighting period!
Lay and plant the MC as this gives you two options for the plant to take hold and get started!
Cheers
hoggie

No worries @hogen53, should have the ADA Amazonia and Monte Carlo today or tomorrow.

2 pots of Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo' is loads for a 35cm x 20cm tank, just split into tiny portions & set it up for good growth (CO2, moderate light) & flood tank from the start ... the only reason I'd DS this plant is if it arrived in poor condition - though if you enjoy DS, have fun with it :D

Good to see you back :)

(& hope your Mum feels better soon)

Cheers @alto, things aren't great with Mum, we found out she has Hashimoto's Disease and has had it for quite some time.

Yeah really like the idea of doing a DSM with this, mainly because I don't have the CO2 equipment and also because I haven't had success with a DSM before and would like to try this method.

Once it comes time to flood, in a month or two, perhaps more, I'll look into a CO2 kit, this is mainly being put together as a display, show piece more than for fish, shrimp, will probably look into keeping a handful of Australian native shrimp in it though.

Back