• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

Yeah me too;)...haha...said I was going to take the time to get this one right...I lied...instead I kinda rushed the planting a bit trying to squeeze it in between stuff, and I was very concious of needing to get the plants in before they started to deteriorate.

It's not the most auspicious of starts but I think I may have got it all under control...for now.

The other thing is I'm using a new light and I'm very concious that I haven't got a clue how it works or whether I'm using the right intensity, so it'll be trial and error for a while. Just hope the plants will survive the experiment:confused:

I'm also still fiddling with my CO2...the temptation is to max it out (no critters), but it's not always a good idea since the plants may have a hard time adapting to the lower concentration once I add critters.

That and, argh...my HC Cuba has no roots, is covered in O2 bubbles and is therefore unanchored and floaty light and keeps being blown to the surface...made the rookie mistake of planting it in too bigger portions...
Just use the crossed toothpicks (or similar) to anchor it down - easy to remove later

I'm also still fiddling with my CO2...the temptation is to max it out (no critters), but it's not always a good idea since the plants may have a hard time adapting to the lower concentration once I add critters.
You can also try running elevated CO2 (at "normal" levels) during photoperiod & low levels outside the photoperiod, eg 2-4bps (or whatever) & 0.5-1 bps ... this can be useful if tank receives decent amounts of ambient light, also allows you to add in algae crew
I've gotten various "horned" nerite snails recently & am impressed with their diligence ... also quite funny to see a snail moving up & down a single grass stem

Just a few quick phone camera shots.
The overview - the spare plants growing emersed in a seperate glass container (can't really call it a Wabi Kusa).
The Rotala and Pogo have breached the surface already.
And a pic of the Rotala bonsai.
26609188826_c164bf2191_c.jpg
26609062856_4098477f96_c.jpg
26609063956_fa6eb8a30d_c.jpg

May I suggest some soleirolia soleirolii for the emersed part? I recently got some and I love the look of it.
811aee4d344f62d2e62376292dc04183.jpg

Great setup Tim.. :clap: Can't wait to see this explode into a bed of emersed flowers. :)

It could use an Ivy tho.. :) growing and climbing over thet long vertical piece of driftwood. Something like Hydrocotyl (tripartita) is a typical ivy when emersed growen and can grow little white flowers.. I'm growing bog pimpernell now also for this purpose, but this is a creeper instead of an ivy, so it needs extra guidance but realy explodes emersed in very long strains.. Still can't get around the fact that men managed to get this fast growing bugger on the red list in many countries. Tho Pimpernell hates hard water, what i did send to the UK didn't survive as far as i know. Trying hydrocotyle like that in the low tech, but it's still very small.

Hi all,
soleirolia soleirolii
It is very good grower.
Still can't get around the fact that men managed to get this fast growing bugger on the red list in many countries. Tho Pimpernell hates hard water, what i did send to the UK didn't survive as far as i know.
It will actually grow in hard water, although it often grows wild on peat bogs.

In the Burren (W. Ireland) I've seen it on wetter bits of the limestone pavement, and in SW Britain it grows in <"dune slacks on shell sand dunes">.

There is some in my daughters art project (at the front right), rocks are Jurassic age oolitic limestone (<"Bath Stone">).

dennerle1-jpg.84870.jpg

cheers Darrel

Hi all,It is very good grower.It will actually grow in hard water, although it often grows wild on peat bogs.

In the Burren (W. Ireland) I've seen it on wetter bits of the limestone pavement, and in SW Britain it grows in <"dune slacks on shell sand dunes">.

There is some in my daughters art project (at the front right), rocks are Jurassic age oolitic limestone (<"Bath Stone">).

dennerle1-jpg.84870.jpg

cheers Darrel

Ok it might not like the transition from propagating in soft and then go hard afterwards.. :) Can't imagine another explaination why else it would'n survive. Because in my soft water it's grows realy the best of all plants i grow.. And did send i think 2 samples to greenfinger Roy and both didn't make it.. Realy thought it must be the hard water.. I actualy never saw this plant i the wild, it very rare to find. And your indeed correct, looked in our Floron Atlas it also stated to grow on wetlands with hard groundwater supply. :)

I kinda fell in love with this little beauty and it seems to love me back for it, it grows like crazy, also on soft water. Funny actualy is, your daughter might like to know, or maybe knows already.. It's common Germanic name.. Teer Guychelheyl which means Little/Fragile Madness Healer. It was in historical times alledgedly used to heal madness, but sceintific reseach couldn't find any psycho active substances. Unfortunately it doesn't heal madness, mankind is still mad enough to distroy all it's habitats. :rolleyes:

Nice art project btw, :thumbup: does it come with closeups somewhere? (Url?)

Sorry for the off topic.. :oops:

Hi all,
I kinda fell in love with this little beauty and it seems to love me back for it, it grows like crazy, also on soft water.
Marcel have you tried it outside? It should flower (it has never flowered inside for me).

<"I used to have a deeper pink cultivar called"> Anagallis tenella "Studland", and it was a stunner, but I failed to keep it wet enough one summer and it "shuffled off this mortal coil".

WSY0005410_10252.jpg

cheers Darrel

Marcel have you tried it outside?
Not yet :) i bought it last year end of the summer as a outlet bargain.. But this year definitely will, got enough of it.
Actualy i have no idea if i have any cultivar or the original wild one, forgot to look at the lable.. As far as i remember it only said it's sceintific name. That studland realy is a stunner.. :) If it'l flower for me inside we will see, late spring early summer should be the time, which is around the corner. :) When i see that pic i'm going to dance around on my eyebrows if it flowers above my tank like that.. :woot: But it probably wont i guess.. But i should put it outside soon if it flowers so early. I'll start cutting..

Really nicely scaped and planted Tim, keep the updates coming mate.
Thanks Tim, that's really nice of you to say so:)
Looking really good already :) Well done Tim! Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
And Manu that's also very kind too;)
Great setup Tim.. :clap: Can't wait to see this explode into a bed of emersed flowers. :)
It could use an Ivy tho.. :) growing and climbing over thet long vertical piece of driftwood. Something like Hydrocotyl (tripartita) is a typical ivy when emersed growen and can grow little white flowers.. I'm growing bog pimpernell now also for this purpose, but this is a creeper instead of an ivy, so it needs extra guidance but realy explodes emersed in very long strains.. Still can't get around the fact that men managed to get this fast growing bugger on the red list in many countries. Tho Pimpernell hates hard water, what i did send to the UK didn't survive as far as i know. Trying hydrocotyle like that in the low tech, but it's still very small.
Thanks Marcel, that's a great idea, I'll wait to see if the lawn establishes first, I don't want to cast any more shade than I have to at the moment:)
Hi all,Marcel have you tried it outside? It should flower (it has never flowered inside for me).

<"I used to have a deeper pink cultivar called"> Anagallis tenella "Studland", and it was a stunner, but I failed to keep it wet enough one summer and it "shuffled off this mortal coil".

WSY0005410_10252.jpg

cheers Darrel
Thanks for sharing the info and pic Darrel...if I ever needed convincing...;)
Hi Tim, Hygrophila pinnatifida looks really cool emersed has a great shape and colour to the leaves :)
Thanks Roy, It's definitely on my list of great plants to try:cool:

Last edited:
By way of an update the scape has proven a bit of a disaster.
The flow is way too high and in the wrong direction (by design, directed to the substrate instead of across the surface), and the outflow lily's sucker came loose yesterday and as a result the change of flow totally rescaped the substrate again either uprooting or burying most of the plants:arghh:
It's not the outflow I would have chosen but the gush lily pipe that was top of my list, and which gives surface flow, has been out of stock now for a while.
I've decided to rescape it either tomorrow or Tuesday, and lower the stump in to the substrate as much as possible and probably get rid of the rocks etc at the front.
And I'll pack the filter with media to reduce the flow.
I'll see how it goes...but the intention is to let the plants be the star, not the hardscape...that is if they survive:meh:

Last edited:
Back