• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

46 W LED + 55 Gal tank, No CO2 injection, Gravel only substrate: BIG mistake!!!

Two years ago I decided to piece together a 55 gal (262ish Liters) showtank. I bought it as a dollar for gallon sale. I have no idea what that translates to in your currencey but those tanks are normally $175-$200 so I took advantage of the opportunity to get one for $55. I figured I'd look for the rest on discount over the years, which I have done. I put simple gravel in t, stuck some Water Wisteria in the gravel and put java ferns on a decorative fake "log" from the pet store. After filling it up and cycling it for six weeks I thought it looked pretty good.

No Co2, No ferts,
Filstar XP500 GPH Canister Filter
Tank is Aqueon 121cm long, 30cm wide, 48cm tall

I think everyone can figure out what happened after just a few weeks. BBA and Cyano spread like wildfire and pretty soon every surface was covered in it. I scoured UKAPS reading all kinds of articles about light, Co2 and algae. I had done everything wrong!!! (I didn't dare post anything about it cause....well Clive and Darrel scare the daylights out of me). Co2 and EI were intimidating cause I didn't want to make anything worse. It seemed like a better option to try and turn it into a low tech tank rather than a high tech. First thing I HAD to do was stop worrying about having enough light. I did a %90 water change and a 72hr blackout. I put three layers of trash white trash sacks over the lid to bring the light down till I could figure out what to do. After that I got some CaribbSea complete to add to the gravel and rescaped the entire tank. I had lost the swords but the water wisteria and java ferns seemed ok, but I still had a problem with getting Co2 into the tank and too much light intensity. I added Sphagnum Moss to the filter, along with dead clipped from the garden. Not really sure what other way to get Co2 into my "sort of" low tech tank. For the lighting I started experimenting with hydroponics/aquaponics and have got Cardinal Creeper vines to grow out the top. I had to create some containers to hold the seeds in the top so I could get the aerial advantage of the plants. I know throwing a bunch of floaters in would have been better, but these seeds seemed like the cheapest way to go and I was hoping to get some flowers out of the top. After a little while, I got this....
IMG_20160330_073915.jpg

IMG_20160330_073943.jpg

Growing out of little plastic cups with small holes cut out. They sat just under the water.

IMG_20160330_074118.jpg

Big ol root mass growing out of cup.

IMG_20160330_073956.jpg
IMG_20160330_074005.jpg
IMG_20160330_074025.jpg

Do the plants all look healthy?

IMG_20160330_073851.jpg

Full view. Led sits at top of the black canopy.

So what kind of ferts are best for this kind of setup? Dry salts and EI should still be best, right? Siesta period seems useless to raise co2 so what other ways are available? It sounds like a DIY fire extinguisher is best for this.

Attachments

• DIc19d.png
    DIc19d.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 140
Wow that looks great. That vine is a very creative solution. Plants look healthy to me.

Imho why do you want to add CO2? I saw some great looking low tech tanks around here. I've made the mistake that I wanted everything at once. It has costed me 8 months a lot of money and a lot of frustration to get everything under control. If I could advise myself a year ago. I would advise myself to start low tech.

Anyway you have to realize you don't NEED CO2. First think about what goals do you have. Do you want to enter a competition or not? If so you want everything to grow fast therefore add CO2.
Do you want to grow difficult plants then you want to add CO2.

If not and you just wanna enjoy a nice looking easy to maintain tank. Go low tech find a better looking solution for your gorgeous looking vines. Realize you can achieve great looking results. It only goes a lot slower.

If you definitly want to go high-tech just read the article by Ed Seeley http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=setting-up-a-higher-tech-planted-tank. I read it like 10 times and used it as a reference since.

Cheers

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Imho why do you want to add CO2?

The one thing I didn't get a good deal on was that light bar. I was naive and bought a really expensive light bar, before I knew what I was doing. It's dumb, I know, but I was one of those people that you guys talk about. You know, the kind that worry about having enough light......and get algae instead. I guess I just wanted to utilize the full potential of that light. I think I kind of have with the vines but I believe you are right. I would be happier at the moment with a Walstad style tank. When I learn a little more about what I'm doing, I'll go high tech. :)

Thanks,

James

Which light bar? can you not adjust the intensity? (assuming you're still using the trash bags???)

I'm a bit confused as to what's current & what's past ... plants in photos don't seem to have much submerse growth - what sort of growth rates are you seeing?

If you don't have a nutrient rich substrate, you want to be consistent with water column fertilizing (though some tap waters can have a good balance of nutrients)

Which light bar? can you not adjust the intensity? (assuming you're still using the trash bags???)

I'm a bit confused as to what's current & what's past ... plants in photos don't seem to have much submerse growth - what sort of growth rates are you seeing?

If you don't have a nutrient rich substrate, you want to be consistent with water column fertilizing (though some tap waters can have a good balance of nutrients)

All pictures are present except for the attached at the bottom. That one was taken before the algae outbreak.

No growth on the swords yet, I added them only a week ago, when I completed the rescape. The Java Ferns grow consistently but very slowly. Those ones I've had for two years and they have kind of spread across the "log." The only ones that have any new growth since the rescape are the Water Wisteria. It can be seen in the top inches or so.

I bought this http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32367852032.html?tracelog=storedetail2mobilesitedetail. Really great and cheap automatic dimmer.

And you can always hang you're led's higher and grow some great emersed plants.
Image1459400546.236461.jpg
. Then you can still use the full potentiel of you're lights.

And btw I now do have a lot of fun with my tank using Co2. Everything has settled nicely. I just want you to know what you get yourself into.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Last edited:

All pictures are present except for the attached at the bottom. That one was taken before the algae outbreak.

Only growth is the first few cm on the Wisteria.

This led is not dimable. :(

The light bar is actually up underneath the and behind the black 2x4 on the front picture. You can't see it in the picks, sorry. Intensity cannot be adjusted so I've had to leave the trash bags up until I know if the Cardinal Creepers will fill in.

Suspending the light at some distance & then adding floating plants would be better for growth I suspect, the white bags may be reducing the light but will also be limiting spectra & may have reduced PAR to lower than wanted
I suspect the creeper (which is lovely) will be quite efficient at removing water column nutrients

CaribbSea complete
is not really an enriched substrate (think aquarium soils) though it can hold & release nutrients (I suspect that it comes "charged" from the manufacturer) - it works "better" with a layer of nutrient dense "soil" such as Tropica Growth Substrate placed beneath.

Water column fertilizers will help, you might add a liquid carbon until you're ready to play with CO2 (there are some very nice tanks done with liquid carbon but the supporting cast of light, substrate, fertilizers, maintenance are also consistent), yeast generated CO2 can also provide good growth (needs good routine for consistent CO2 production, compressed gas is much easier)

In only 2 weeks, I'd not expect much growth from the swords though you should see some new (submerse) leafs forming.

Any idea on your tap water parameters (check with your water board for an analysis)

And you can always hang you're led's higher and grow some great emersed plants

That's a beautiful setup. I have a Peace Lilly in the filter box of a 10 gallon. I would love to have a setup like yours. :)

Any idea on your tap water parameters

It looks like we have chlorine, chloramine, fluoride, and heaven knows what else added to our water. We have really hard, alkaline water 160mg/L total metals. Copper and other heavy metals are present due to the high mineral content in our soil and apparently we have arsenic in our water.....that's reassuring.

So I'll have to do another rescape and add the soil? That sucks, but I've got to do what needs to be done, right? The ferts that I'm dosing is Seachem Flourish but I'm not adding liquid carbon yet. That should be pretty manageable. On that note, how effective IS Sphagnum Moss at putting carbon in the water column?

Back