• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaves Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan' almost gone overnight.

Jink82

This morning I noticed problems with Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan'. The plant grows very very fast so it's not a big problem I just want to understand what has happened and what I can do to prevent this. I'm a bit scared that this plant is a sort of like the canary in the mines.

Last night it looked like this: (I wanted to update my journal but the picture was not sharp :( so excuse me for that).

007.jpg

Yesterday I did a waterchange (every sunday 50%). And everything was fine and this morning it looked like this:
IMG_4563.jpg
IMG_4564.jpg

I find it odd that some animal would eat this (and this much) in 1 night. So I thought it had something to do with the water chemistry of my tap water... But maybe you guys are right and my first suspect would be the shrimps as they are with many. I have some snails but they are all rather small and I don't think they would eat this much in such a short time.

can almost see tracks on one leaf....like snail or slug damage in my garden!

Looks like someone has had a nice picnic :)
My guess would be hungry shrimp. Amanos are known to sometimes eat plants...if they are really hungry...Time for some algae tablets or grow some algae :)

Sorry...couldn't resist :

A video to support my theory :)

Thank you so much. After the water chemistry was ruled out I already thought the Amano shrimps were the perpetrators but thanks for the confirmation. I also thought I was overfeeding them o_O. I'm relieved that is isn't something toxic... Thanks again.

I have had similar issues since my recent rescape. Like you, no Plecs, just Ottos or 4 Amano shrimp that could be to blame. My damage is not as extensive as yours, but happens with similar speed.

If you take a look at this post you will see the pics:

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/round-two.40125/page-3#post-436886

That Alternanthera 1-2 Grow was perfect one day, then next day every single leaf on every single plant was like that.

The Ech. Quadricostatus has all the damaged leaves removed one day, then next day, more leaves damaged and as you can see from the picture, that damage starts where the leaf is visible where two are overlapping, so it's not like that leaf is melting, its been eaten from the point it emerges from behind the other leaf.

I have reduced this damage by ensuring that blanched veggies are always available which both the Ottos and Amanos will eat, as well as getting some algae wafers in there at feeding time.

Looks like someone has had a nice picnic :)
My guess would be hungry shrimp. Amanos are known to sometimes eat plants...if they are really hungry...Time for some algae tablets or grow some algae :)

Sorry...couldn't resist :

A video to support my theory :)

Jesus christ that music!! :nailbiting: :lol: Makes you want to cry the rest of the day.. :sorry:

I had the same thing happen with that plant, but actually saw my Amano's go onto it and systematically rip it apart, just as it was getting to be a great specimen.

I had the same thing happen with that plant, but actually saw my Amano's go onto it and systematically rip it apart, just as it was getting to be a great specimen.

That's too bad... :( I'm not too worried about mine. It grows really fast and I think I want it out anyway. Sometimes I get plants for free from my local aqua store to try and this was one of them. It's a nice looking plant but personally I love plants with small leaves.

Back