• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From Borneo with love

Fantastic work Manu, looking great! May I ask, are your inflow/outflow pipes acrylic? And where did you get them from?

Delightfull little tank.. :) Grows like crazy good job.. :clap:

Hi everybody and thanks for the nice comments :)

Cleaning the moss I use my fingers just waving the moss up and down when doing a water change.This gets a lot of the muck out ;)
Cheers Roy, I'll try that :thumbup:

Fantastic work Manu, looking great! May I ask, are your inflow/outflow pipes acrylic? And where did you get them from?
Thanks a lot :)
Concerning the pipes, the outflow is made of glass and the spray bar is acrylic, home made :)
You can find lots of different sizes on eBay for very good prices, then you just have to be accurate with marking the holes in a straight line and drill square. Also drill in steps of 0.5mm starting at 1.5mm.
Have a look here, there's more info :)
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/diy-spraybar-for-eheim-tubing.38884/

Delightfull little tank.. :) Grows like crazy good job.. :clap:
Thank you very much Marcel! Your fern is growing well too :)

Looking great :).
Is the Asplenium cf. normale all emersed ?.
Thanks a lot Nelson!
Yes, most of them are but the one on the right side of the wood (on the third picture) is actually under the surface with the leaves growing emersed. I wanted to see how it would do with roots and rhizome submersed as I read that they don't do well being a long time under water. We'll see :)

Cheers,
Manu

Thank you very much Marcel! Your fern is growing well too :)

Well that's nice.. :) it indeed is a very beautifull bright green java. Can't wait to see it all grown in after a few months.
Mine is making babys like crazy.. now in 4 months time i took of more than 15 little plantlets from it's leave tips and they keep comming. Does yours do that too??

I read that they don't do well being a long time under water. We'll see

This information is usualy aimed to ferns in pots with soil.. That's rather a bad idea to keep that to wet, because of fungus development and lak of aeration and will eventuely start to rot. But with a good flow around it's rhizome freely in the water they probably addapt after a while.

Last edited:
Wonderful tank Manu, I'm very envious of your Rotala wallichii, I can never get it to grow in my low tech tanks! Maybe I should bite the bullet and try some gas...

With regards to your Asplenium cf. normale though (which I believe is now named Hymenasplenium obscurum), I've been growing it for over 8 months fully submersed and have so far seen good growth from it, and in some cases have found it to prefer the shadier, more sluggish waters than my M. pteropus 'Trident'. If my experiences are anything to go by, you shouldn't have any problems with it under the water line.

Well that's nice.. :) it indeed is a very beautifull bright green java. Can't wait to see it all grown in after a few months.
Mine is making babys like crazy.. now in 4 months time i took of more than 15 little plantlets from it's leave tips and they keep comming. Does yours do that too??
Hi Marcel,
I think I can see the growth of some babies on one of the leaves, and there is a new leaf coming from the rhizome :cool:
It will look great when it start to go wild :)

This information is usualy aimed to ferns in pots with soil.. That's rather a bad idea to keep that to wet, because of fungus development and lak of aeration and will eventuely start to rot. But with a good flow around it's rhizome freely in the water they probably addapt after a while.
Cheers for that, I will give it a go as soon as possible. When I get some babies :crazy: :)

Wonderful tank Manu, I'm very envious of your Rotala wallichii, I can never get it to grow in my low tech tanks! Maybe I should bite the bullet and try some gas...
Hello Finn,
Thanks for the compliment on the tank and the Rotala, I am so glad it grows well. I have the feeling that the reason it likes it so much in this tank is that I am lucky to have the right water parameters. I am using rain water, the TDS is around 150 and the ph around 5.8. Before setting this tank I had "thrown" plants in using also the rain water and plants were not doing so well in my hi tech were thriving in it although the light level were quite low, the flow was poor and the maintenance... non existent :sorry: :)
I had tried the walichii in my hi tech and it was a failure... yesterday, I trimmed the one you saw on the picture and planted some of the cuttings in the hi tech to see how is goes. Just as an experiment really. But the TDS in that hi tech tank is very high, around 370 I think.
Anyway, regarding the co2, I have slowly decreased the bubble rate and I am now at about one bubble every two seconds. We'll see if the Rotala stays happy, if not we will both know what to do ;)

With regards to your Asplenium cf. normale though (which I believe is now named Hymenasplenium obscurum), I've been growing it for over 8 months fully submersed and have so far seen good growth from it, and in some cases have found it to prefer the shadier, more sluggish waters than my M. pteropus 'Trident'. If my experiences are anything to go by, you shouldn't have any problems with it under the water line.
Great to know, thanks! :thumbup: I will give it a go when I have got new plantlets :)

Cheers,
Manu

Hi Manu, You may already be aware of this, but in case you or for anyone else who might be interested, leaf cuttings of Hymenasplenium (and some of Bolbitis spp.) is an easy if albeit slow way of propagating them if you want to increase your stock.
I just take an older or damaged frond after pruning (a nice fresh one would do too if you're so inclined!), lay them on a moist bed of any substrate I have lying around (I tend to use peat, aquasoil would be a fancy alternative) in a plastic takeaway tub or even a sandwich bag, and leave in a place with a stable room temp. and medium/low light, making sure to give them a squirt of water when checking them. After a month or two you should have plantlets forming at the terminal ends of the frond's vascular tissues which you should be able to remove and grow on in the aquarium after their first true leaves develop (which may take a while, you could move them to a higher light area to give them a boost). I find it's a nice way of recycling what would otherwise be composted, plus I've never seen anyone use these plants to densely populate an area so kind of want to try that myself!

hello manu
nice to catch up with you last week. your tanks are looking awesome. better view in person to be honest loving the fern growing out of the driftwood. im 1st in line for some trimmings hahah. keep up the good work

cheers
ryan

Hi Ryan,Your so right the tank photos are good:) Seeing yours and Manu's tanks in the real :woot::woot: Eye candy for the eyes there Exquisite :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Looking forward to meeting up with you guys again soon :D

Hi Manu, You may already be aware of this, but in case you or for anyone else who might be interested, leaf cuttings of Hymenasplenium (and some of Bolbitis spp.) is an easy if albeit slow way of propagating them if you want to increase your stock.
I just take an older or damaged frond after pruning (a nice fresh one would do too if you're so inclined!), lay them on a moist bed of any substrate I have lying around (I tend to use peat, aquasoil would be a fancy alternative) in a plastic takeaway tub or even a sandwich bag, and leave in a place with a stable room temp. and medium/low light, making sure to give them a squirt of water when checking them. After a month or two you should have plantlets forming at the terminal ends of the frond's vascular tissues which you should be able to remove and grow on in the aquarium after their first true leaves develop (which may take a while, you could move them to a higher light area to give them a boost). I find it's a nice way of recycling what would otherwise be composted, plus I've never seen anyone use these plants to densely populate an area so kind of want to try that myself!

Hi Finn,
Thanks a lot for that, I'll definitely give it a try! This naturally occurs on the older the leaves of the ferns, but your method sounds great for propagating them, especially when getting plants ready before setting up a tank. Thanks for the tip :)
Cheers,
Manu

hello manu
nice to catch up with you last week. your tanks are looking awesome. better view in person to be honest loving the fern growing out of the driftwood. im 1st in line for some trimmings hahah. keep up the good work

cheers
ryan

Hi Ryan, Thanks a lot! It was great to see you too :)
I've trimmed the walichii but replanted everything... Next time I'll keep some for you then :)
Speak soon!
Manu

Hello Finn,

I thought I should let you know that I've done an experiment, planted some Rotala walichii in my high tech tank. This tank is on tap water only, and the tds is quite high (350 I think). Well, the walichii hates it and is now melting away, covered in BBA... But the one in the Borneo tank is still doing great, growing very fast. So, I'm not an expert but that tells me that it really prefers soft and maybe acidic water...
Just thought I should share that with you :)

Update coming soon... There's fish in the tank :)

Cheers,
Manu

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Back