• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant melting and water changes

Jaap

Hello,

I have recently planted a low tech tank with Echinodorus, Crypts, Ferns and other low maintenance plants. Because I used ADA Amazonia as my substrate, for the first two weeks I carried out daily water changes. For the second part of these two weeks I had some melting of Crypts which is normal and very littly melting of a few leaves of other plants that had mechanical damage.

My question is, do I do a water change again or do I allow that little melting to just decompose and become nutrients?

The reason of my concerns is that I wan't to allow bacteria to populate so as to avoid a huge filamentous algae attack but also to decrease the chance of BBA due to fluctuations in CO2 in the water due to the addition of tap water which contains higher CO2 levels.

Thanks

I just remove anything unsightly with the syphon,once per week.
Large fish poos,shrimp skins,uneaten cucumber etc

Plants go through a period where it needs to adapt unless you go straight into a fully co2 set up.

Ive had a low tech set up for over 6 years and sometimes when I introduce new plants there is some melt. Crypts are a big melter in my experience. A root tab, a trim and give it some time they will grow back really healthy.

Hows the flow within the tank? Whats the lighting period? Any fish within the tank that may enjoy eating vegetation?

The reason of my concerns is that I wan't to allow bacteria to populate so as to avoid a huge filamentous algae attack but also to decrease the chance of BBA due to fluctuations in CO2 in the water due to the addition of tap water which contains higher CO2 levels.

You wont remove any significant amount of bacteria by WC because most of bacteria lives on surfaces not directly in the water so you should not worry about it. Although I would stick to weekly WC just because in my personal experience too much intrusion will cause even more problems, especially in newly set-up tanks.

Back