• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Discus Dan's complete DIY set up.

Great stuff!

With regards to the floating plants, Red Root doesn't like high surface flow and is easily blown about the place and submerged, this is because as the rooted stems lengthen for new growth the old leaves become submerged and make very good underwater sails, however If you constrain a bunch of it you get compact growth and it forms a dense raft with emergent growth, given enough light (windowsill) the roots will go bright red, under lower light they fade to pink/white and the surface leaves will also be more green than olive/red.

:)

So its been a good few weeks since an update,

I tried some floating plants, think it was Phyllantus Fluitans but because im using lily pipes there is a lot of surface agitation which caused the plants to to move around a lot.
Most of them have died off or been pulled apart by the fish.

so the next little project was to make a plant caddy.

started out with a plastic box from washing detergent which I cut to shape.

uSF13Qu.jpg

then used a soldering iron to cut holes for the suction cups and water flow.

vKe5qp8.jpg

and lined it with a bit of greenhouse shading,

mUZ3IYi.jpg

Then planted it up with a peace lily and fixed it in place in the tank.

bgNsrIm.jpg

It looks great at the moment I just hope it doesn't die off from being submerged.

Apart from that nothing much else has changed, I added a couple of Echinodorus radicans and disconnected 3 of the bulbs as I think the lighting was to intense.

After adding the floating plants I was away for a week and came home to a build up of brown dust algae, luckily most of this was on the front glass and just wiped away.

thats about all for now.

Had a bit of a surprise when I got in from work today.

At first I thought I'd had an out break of snails or some other nasties that had sneaked in on the new plants but after watching the tank for a while its was clear it was something else.

This is what i discovered on one of the new radicans leaves and they where being furiously guarded by two of my angel fish.

VxeyzA0.jpg

and a bit closer.

P8JJWix.jpg

So i'm assuming these are angel eggs?

Its amazing to see the two fish protect them, they chase off any thing that comes close and every once in a while they will "fan" the eggs with their fins, not sure why they do this?

Question is what should I do about it, if any thing at all? I was thinking of just leaving it well alone and letting nature take its course?

and a quick pic of one of the angels.

jX1IRls.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! I had a breeding pair of Angels a couple of years ago and they beat the crap out of anything that came near the eggs. As far as I understand it, they fan the eggs to stop mould growing on them. I had eggs about 10 times I think, but they only hatched twice and then they were eaten. BY THE PARENTS!!!

Silly question I know, but are you sure they are mama and papa Angels and not both mama? Only reason I ask is because mama will lay the eggs ( on leaves, glass, rocks, basically and flat surface ) and then papa will come along and fertilise them. What colour are the eggs? They look yellow? Mine were always really white except the ones that didn't get fertilised, they went yellow and mouldy and eventually got eaten.

Fingers crossed you've got mama and papa and yours hatch, I'd they do good luck in raising the fry. Mine always got eaten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect nothing will come of this other than fish food.

I have no idea what sex any of the angels are, I didnt even think they were old enough to start spawning :)

Nearly all of the eggs are yellow apart from a few which are white.

Guessing i'll just have to wait and see.

Cant believe its been nearly a year since I last updated!

Well as of 6 months ago this is what the tank looked like...

igdIyiG.jpg

m48iwXm.jpg

And as of today this is what it looks like...

8qPyvcT.jpg

YSPhAra.jpg

Wanting to add a few more crypts if any body has some????

and another school of fish possibly some Odessa Barbs.

I was drooling over your setup, great read.
I am surprised that you did not DIY the plants and the fish as well...
Great, very informative journal!

What an enjoyable thread ! Just read from start to finish and really enjoyed it. Would love to try it sometime but not sure if I could

I'ts been a while again. I was getting bored of the way the old lights looked so i made some new ones.

The tank needs a tear down and re-plant really but I might be moving soon so it can wait.

edzdRhX.jpg

whi2DSv.jpg

aoYBYvP.jpg

WaNHwGN.jpg

Back