• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From Borneo with love

Hi Tim, thanks a lot! Very happy with the wood too :) Funny enough, when I bought it in the lfs, one customer made a slightly sarcastic comment : "well, someone's got a big tank!". I replied that the tank was only 60 litters and the guy looked at me like I was completely mad :lol:

Huh...Muggles...what do they know?:rolleyes:

the guy looked at me like I was completely mad :lol:
I know the feeling i get that a lot.. :rolleyes: :woot:

Looking realy good manu.. You have talent.. :cool: And if it is the Java Orange i think it is.. I'm not sure if it is the one you planted in fron of the wood. Beware it's going to grow huge, it's one of the biggest java's i've seen till now. :)

I like this a lot! Keep the pics and updates coming! :)

Lähetetty minun GT-I9305 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

I know the feeling i get that a lot.. :rolleyes: :woot:

Looking realy good manu.. You have talent.. :cool: And if it is the Java Orange i think it is.. I'm not sure if it is the one you planted in fron of the wood. Beware it's going to grow huge, it's one of the biggest java's i've seen till now. :)

Yes It is Java Orange its a piece from your plant you sent me;) I gave a bit to Manu.

Yes It is Java Orange its a piece from your plant you sent me;) I gave a bit to Manu.

Well that's great Roy, would love to see it grow in this scape :woot:.. Very beautifull bright green fern.. I already thought it came from my stable.. ;) Just to inform Manu, it's not the Orange narrow as discribed at the flow grow site. Probably an other strain, i bought it as Orange XXL and have seen the mother plant my little cutting came from and it was huge but manny years old. It definitely isn't a forground/midground java in small tanks unless you'll keep cutting it back. It also isn't particulary narrow i have addult leaves on it over an inch wide.. :thumbup: It also grows relatively fast and dense and propagates happily from the (older) leaves in a non co2 tank.

Here you see it in 90 cm x 35 cm tank RH side of the DW in background.. And did cut it back relatively much.. If fully grown it will easily occupy 1/3 of the tank. The mother was much bigger.. :)
DSCF5749.jpg

Last edited:
Well that's great Roy, would love to see it grow in this scape :woot:.. Very beautifull bright green fern.. I already thought it came from my stable.. ;) Just to inform Manu, it's not the Orange narrow as discribed at the flow grow site. Probably an other strain, i bought it as Orange XXL and have seen the mother plant my little cutting came from and it was huge but manny years old. It definitely isn't a forground/midground java in small tanks unless you'll keep cutting it back. It also isn't particulary narrow i have addult leaves on it over an inch wide..It also grows relatively fast and dense and propagates happily from the (older) leaves in a non co2 tank.

Here you see it in 90 cm x 35 cm tank RH side of the DW in background.. And did cut it back relatively much.. If fully grown it will easily occupy 1/3 of the tank. The mother was much bigger.. :)
View attachment 80876
Thanks Marcel for the warning I might move it to the back then and keep trimming it, and if it get too big I'll have to buy a new tank

So far no issues with the plants, it seems to be enough humidity but I thought to have a go at using a mist maker. I'd like to keep the top part of the wood more moist so I've ordered the USB type mist maker that screws to a bottle. I will attach it to the glass with the cotton thing dipping in the water and this should help. Thanks Marcel as I've seen your diy thread on mist maker and have been inspired

I also forgot a plant that Roy gave - thanks a lot mate! - It's a cryptocoryne bullosa. It's seating at the top of the wood will grow partially emersed. Roy had it in a Wabi-Kusa so it's already very strong. I'll have to do my best keep it happy...

I'll post more pictures soon

Thanks for watching everyone!

Manu

Hi everybody,

It's now 10 days since setting this tank :). No big trouble so far. The crypts are melting a bit, but they should recover soon. The other plants are doing ok although the ferns are suffering a bit as I struggle to keep the air moist. I've ordered a mist maker on ebay, it should have arrived last Thursday but no luck...:(
I have moved the heat matt and attached it underneath the tank, inside the cabinet. When inside the tank it was actually drying out the air...not such a great idea for growing aquatic plants emersed :oops:
I am still waiting for another fern called Asplenium cf. normale, I would like to place it behind the wood, mostly emersed. It's a plant from Dennerle, it looks beautiful on the pictures :)

I have received and "planted" the bucephalandras from Mr Luke and he gave me some moss from Borneo :). I could not be bothered to go again with blender, so I stuck the moss in small splits in the wood and I hope it will attach itself very soon :)
Today I have spotted a few threads of moss that are already in the water so I will keep an eye on them to check the growth.

Here are few pictures of the tank and plants:

IMG_4406.JPG

IMG_4408.JPG

IMG_4407.JPG

IMG_4413.JPG

IMG_4411.JPG

IMG_4417.JPG

IMG_4418.JPG

IMG_4419.JPG

Cheers !

Manu

Hi everybody,

It's time for an update :)

Last week I received the humidifier/mist maker device and this was really fantastic. I recommend to anyone doing a dry start. Actually, it wasn't dry at all, it kept all the plants nicely moist and the only thing I had to do was to disconnect and connect again twice or thrice a day as it seems to stop after a few hours (7hours I think). But it's better than the spray that risks blowing the threads of moss away. The one I got is meant to screw on a bottle and not to be kept in such a moist environment... but it still works :)

So here are some pictures:

IMG_4435.JPG

IMG_4436.JPG

IMG_4437.JPG

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4447.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

Yesterday, I had a bit of time and as I am an impatient person, I couldn't resist to flood the tank :rolleyes:
So I tested how the moss is securely attached to the wood by just running a bit of water on the wood, first gently and then not so gently. It wasn't moving!
Yeah, I could finally flood the tank :):):)

I did, everything went well. only two of the Bucelphalandras had to be reattached.
Although it will be a low tech tank, I have set up a co2 diffuser to help the transition from immersed to submersed. Once the plants have settled, I will slowly decrease the amount of co2. I hope this is a good idea. Do let me know your thoughts, it's all new for me...

Painting the rocks with moss didn't seem to work so well so I got more Java moss and attached it to the rocks.

Here are some pictures taken today, 24 hours after filling up the tank:

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4462.JPG

IMG_4449.JPG

IMG_4454.JPG

IMG_4453.JPG

IMG_4452.JPG

IMG_4458.JPG

Cheers,
Manu

Hi everybody,

one month since the last update and everything is going well so far.
I am so happy with the Rotana wallichii as it is growing really well and few stems have now reach the surface :)
It won't go orange or red as there is not enough light but the plants look pretty and healthy.

The Bucephanandras from Mr Luke are doing really well too, I have new growth on all of them :)

I have learn that the Limnophila rugosa don't like to cut right back...:oops: so I lost a few stems but the tops that I had replanted survived, no disaster :shh:

The moss start to really spread on the wood, it's also covering the stones nicely :) It should look great in a few weeks.

By the way, how do you guys keep your moss clean?? It tends to collect everything that is floating in the water...

Oh, yes, I almost forgot: I finally got the Asplenium cf. normale :happy::happy::happy: Thanks to Darren from Living Waters :thumbup: It's also doing well with new shoots coming out :)

The ferns are now growing plantlets which I will attach to wood once they are strong enough.

So here are a few picture, I hope you like them :)

IMG_4556.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4561.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

IMG_4567.jpg

IMG_4566.jpg

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4570.jpg

Cheers,
Manu

Back