• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Too much?

ToPlant

Seedling
I read that you can't over filter but is the flow in my tank going to be overkill?

My tank is a Rio 400 at 450 litres and comes with an all pond solutions 1400ef plus filter which on the website says 600 litres and a Aqua manta efx 400 which does 400 litres.

Seems pretty awesome for a heavily planted tank :) but will my plants be uprooted?

I use 2 aps 2000ef on my 400l one on a Co2 reactor and still have some dead spots

Sent from my SM-G900F

Hi, I also had concerns about the high flow rates. Especially for the larger tank. To get to the10x rate I am looking at 4700lph .

I have just installed 2x 2000lph power heads, and surprisingly the volume of water seems to dissipate the flow quite quickly. I thought it would be like a fish jacuzzi . I'm really pleased with it, almost thinking should of gone a little larger.

I have 3200l/hr in 180l and fish and plants are fine. Any less and I get CO2 dead spots and algae appearing on plants.

I run 15x turnover in my high tech. Plants are very happy as they all get plenty of CO2 rich water. Not a jacuzzi at all, plants gently move about in the current.

Never settle for dead spots. They only lead to trouble, low tech or high tech.

In well planted tanks you likely don't need too much bio-filtration. Plants feed on nitrite, ammonia. High stocking density can affect this somewhat though, but plants do a very good job of keeping the system healthy. So you're after flow just as much as bio-filtration in planted tanks. I have 7x turnover through a canister with bio-media, the rest of the turnover comes from a powerhead.

Back