• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

MGS and MGSO4

abdulaziz

Seedling
can i use magnesium sulfide instead of magnesium sulfate for planted tank fert dosing? MGS instead of MGSO4 ? and if so is the dose will be the same? i want to use mgs coz thats the one thats available in my country. i will be waiting for your help guys!

Are you sure it is magnesium sulphide ? I very much doubt it. Magnesium sulphide is unstable and in presence of water will decompose to hydrogen sulphide (bad egg gas and 1/2 as toxic as cyanide) and magnesium oxide.

Magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) is completely different, often available in chemists as a foot soak, laxative and antiseptic.

Are you sure it is magnesium sulphide ? I very much doubt it. Magnesium sulphide is unstable and in presence of water will decompose to hydrogen sulphide (bad egg gas and 1/2 as toxic as cyanide) and magnesium oxide.

Magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) is completely different, often available in chemists as a foot soak, laxative and antiseptic.

so its a bad idea to use it! thats good that i asked before i bought it thank you for the fast replay.

I pity the fool who purchases magnesium sulphide..! Please tell me this stuff is not easy to buy?

unfortunately its easy to buy and they sale it in a 25 kg pack in outdore plants fertilizer shop! why u r wondering is it easy to buy is it dangerous to use in deferent use?

unfortunately its easy to buy and they sale it in a 25 kg pack in outdore plants fertilizer shop! why u r wondering is it easy to buy is it dangerous to use in deferent use?

As Ian stated, if you mix it with water, you might kill your self.

Concentration
(ppm)

Symptoms/Effects

0.00011-0.00033

Typical background concentrations

0.01-1.5

Odor threshold (when rotten egg smell is first noticeable to some). Odor becomes more offensive at 3-5 ppm. Above 30 ppm, odor described as sweet or sickeningly sweet.

2-5

Prolonged exposure may cause nausea, tearing of the eyes, headaches or loss of sleep. Airway problems (bronchial constriction) in some asthma patients.

Possible fatigue, loss of appetite, headache, irritability, poor memory, dizziness.

50-100

Slight conjunctivitis ("gas eye") and respiratory tract irritation after 1 hour. May cause digestive upset and loss of appetite.

Coughing, eye irritation, loss of smell after 2-15 minutes (olfactory fatigue). Altered breathing, drowsiness after 15-30 minutes. Throat irritation after 1 hour. Gradual increase in severity of symptoms over several hours. Death may occur after 48 hours.

100-150

Loss of smell (olfactory fatigue or paralysis).

200-300

Marked conjunctivitis and respiratory tract irritation after 1 hour. Pulmonary edema may occur from prolonged exposure.

500-700

Staggering, collapse in 5 minutes. Serious damage to the eyes in 30 minutes. Death after 30-60 minutes.

700-1000

Rapid unconsciousness, "knockdown" or immediate collapse within 1 to 2 breaths, breathing stops, death within minutes.

1000-2000

Nearly instant death

image_zpswfityam3.jpe

im confused this is whats written at the back of the MGS. and its marked as suluble fertilizer. so what is this product guys?

As Ian stated, if you mix it with water, you might kill your self.

Concentration
(ppm)

Symptoms/Effects

0.00011-0.00033

Typical background concentrations

0.01-1.5

Odor threshold (when rotten egg smell is first noticeable to some). Odor becomes more offensive at 3-5 ppm. Above 30 ppm, odor described as sweet or sickeningly sweet.

2-5

Prolonged exposure may cause nausea, tearing of the eyes, headaches or loss of sleep. Airway problems (bronchial constriction) in some asthma patients.

Possible fatigue, loss of appetite, headache, irritability, poor memory, dizziness.

50-100

Slight conjunctivitis ("gas eye") and respiratory tract irritation after 1 hour. May cause digestive upset and loss of appetite.

Coughing, eye irritation, loss of smell after 2-15 minutes (olfactory fatigue). Altered breathing, drowsiness after 15-30 minutes. Throat irritation after 1 hour. Gradual increase in severity of symptoms over several hours. Death may occur after 48 hours.

100-150

Loss of smell (olfactory fatigue or paralysis).

200-300

Marked conjunctivitis and respiratory tract irritation after 1 hour. Pulmonary edema may occur from prolonged exposure.

500-700

Staggering, collapse in 5 minutes. Serious damage to the eyes in 30 minutes. Death after 30-60 minutes.

700-1000

Rapid unconsciousness, "knockdown" or immediate collapse within 1 to 2 breaths, breathing stops, death within minutes.

1000-2000

Nearly instant death
that sound so bad i sent a photo of the product i thinks its not like this. so please check the photo i sent

look at the photo that i sent for what i think is the mgs

this is the product information. so please help me with this product. KRISTA MgS (16% MgO + 13% SO3) is a fully water soluble sulphur and magnesium fertilizer. It is a free flowing, fine crystalline powder which dissolves quickly in water without any residues.

KRISTA-MgS is suited to application through all fertigation systems -hydroponics, drip systems, low throw sprinklers, centre pivots and spray units

It seems it's required by law to declare it that way, SO3 equivalent in this case. Even though it's actually SO4.
The same way that PO4 is declared as P2O5.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/medi...dlimestone/RegulationECNo2003of2003061015.pdf

"...2. Member States may prescribe that the calcium, magnesium, sodium and sulphur contents of secondary nutrient fertilisers and, where the conditions of Article 17 are fulfilled, of primary nutrient fertilisers placed on their markets are to be expressed:
(a) in the oxide form (CaO, MgO, Na2O, SO3); or (b) in the elemental form (Ca, Mg, Na, S); or
(c) in both of these forms..."

It's even written "Magnesium Sulfate" in the picture you attached.

Yes because it's MgSO4. Heck, my Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) is labelled K2SO3 by the same regulation.

It's even written "Magnesium Sulfate" in the picture you attached.
so can i use it the same why and the same dose as the normal Magnesium Sulfate? for 500 ml bottle 20 grams ! or there is an other dose i should do? sorry for too much asking coz im new to dry firilizers and sorry for my bad english coz im not an English.

Started as a scary one this just glad we have the sponsors who sell and explain their products and freely give advice o_O

Back