• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need more lighting?

Ian2000t

Seedling
Hi, I'm new here. I don't have a fully planted tank, but I am trying to use live plants in my tropical tank without them keep dying off.

I currently have a 3ft tank (1ft deep and 1.5ft tall). It should be sufficiently stocked to keep the plants "fertilized" enough. I have the following:
- 2 Bristlenose Plecs (1 lemon, 1 common)
- 1 Purple Apple Snail
- 1 Swordtail
- 2 Guppies
- 7 Platies (some young)
- 6 cherry barbs
- 5 cardinal tetras
- 3 gold neon tetras

I currently have a Eheim Ecco Pro 300 (although might be changing that for a Aquamanta EFX400). Temperature is 25C.

Lighting wise I have a single T8 "Aqua-glo" tube that is on for probably 5 hours a day. The tank is in the living room quite near the window, so in the summer it gets a lot of sunlight - obviously not at the moment though.

I think I probably need more lighting as I currently only have one plant that seems to keep growing. Not sure what it is but I can post a pic if that helps. I have tried to use a tall red plant in the back corners of the tank, but they keep dying off.

Are LED lights useful, or are they the wrong colour spectrum for plants to grow correctly?

Post a picture of the plant and your tank. I reckon two t8 will be very adequate.

macaranda wouldn't be suitable for beginners. I would ditch it.

Hours of lighting in low tech is about 5-7 hours esp at the beginning. More would usually cause algae.

Oh, that's a shame, because I was struggling to find some nice tall background plants, and I love the look of the Red leaves. The first one we had actually did quite well and lasted several months. The problem we had was that it kept growing upwards too much, and not growing new leaves further down. Ended up right at the top of the aquarium with only leaves on top.

Here are some pics of the tank. The red plant (Macaranda?) and the Java Fern are new this weekend. The other green plant (front left - and the other close up) is the only one that really keeps growing new leaves, and appears to have spread. That's been in for probably 6 months now. Can't find out what type of plant it is though - any ideas?
IMG_20160104_195926.jpg
IMG_20160104_195954.jpg
IMG_20160104_200002.jpg

Hi all,
The other green plant (front left - and the other close up) is the only one that really keeps growing new leaves, and appears to have spread. That's been in for probably 6 months now. Can't find out what type of plant it is though - any ideas?
Cryptocoryne ponterderiifolia?

The slightly "fir tree" looking plant to the right of it (behind the rock) is a Selaginella sp. and <"not an aquatic plant">. It really p*sses me off, that they sell these for aquariums. I'm not sure about the one behind the roundabout sign either, can you post a close up?

A taller plant that should be all right in your harder water is Vallisneria, another option would be Cryptocoryne balansae, they are both green.

The Ceratophyllum (Hornwort), Anubias barteri & Cladophora you have all look OK, although you would probably be best to raise the Anubias rhizome so that it sits on the gravel (rather than buried), the roots can remain buried.

You don't need to re-plant the Ceratophyllum, you can just let it branch in the water column. Once you have a bit more plant mass you may find that the other plants grow a bit better, or you could try the occasional feed. I use a really simple technique using a floating plant to tell me when the plants might need a feed, I've called it the <"Duckweed Index">, but any floating plant will do.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for your reply. Images of Cryptocoryne ponterderiifolia don't quite look right for it - I'm definitely no expert though!!

I think the slightly fir-tree looking one, is actually a bit of fake decoration on the plastic "rock bridge".

Thanks for the advice on the Anubias - I'll do that! And I'll look into the other tall plants. Is there no real hope for the tall red plants then without Co2?

Hi all,
I think the slightly fir-tree looking one, is actually a bit of fake decoration on the plastic "rock bridge".
Excellent, I still bet it won't grow.
Images of Cryptocoryne ponterderiifolia don't quite look right for it
It definitely could be another plant, hopefully "Mick.Dk" will have a definitive ID for you. I'm fairly confident it is a Cryptocoryne.

It will look a bit different in a lot of the images, because the plants sold in shops etc are grown emersed, this one (below) was grown submerged in a low tech., low light tank.

cryptocoryne_pon022_zps7813bf63-jpg.24907.jpg

Is there no real hope for the tall red plants then without Co2?
Your best bet might be Ludwigia palustris (easier than Ludwigia repens ’Rubin’?).

Other options might be <"Aponogeton crispus 'Red'?>", but it is expensive and difficult to find. Less red would be Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Rotala rotundifolia or Echinodorus ‘Barthii’.

I've never grown the Echinodorus or Rotala, and I got fed up with re-planting the Hygrophila, which never looked very pink, or healthy, with me.

cheers Darrel

That picture does actually look more like it, so maybe it is.

Thanks for the advice I will have a look at some of those plants.

The slightly "fir tree" looking plant to the right of it (behind the rock) is a Selaginella sp. and <"not an aquatic plant">. It really p*sses me off, that they sell these for aquariums. I'm not sure about the one behind the roundabout sign either, can you post a close up?
I thought the same Darrel :lol:.
ian%201_zpsge99jfvd.jpg
The one behind at the back looks like Java fern to me.Should be tied on wood or something and not buried. ;).

Hey don't knock it, the fir tree is my most successful plant so far! ;)

Will the Java Fern not like grow buried? Last one I tried to attach to wood refused to latch onto it.

Ive had a java fern planted for about 3 months just because i haven't tied it to my unsinking wood yet. I'll get round to it. But no i can't tell if it's has grown at all.

Well, my "red plant" is still alive. Looks like a few leaves have been nibbled on by Pleco's or the Snail, but I think it is growing some new leaves at the top. Will post some pics.

Back