• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Dragon Passage

I just got it rescaped today and now I'm feeling happy with it. I have to be up at Fishkeeper at midnight for a fish delivery so during my sleepy day tomorrow I will get some pictures taken.

Tonight I stumbled upon aquaponics. I have my next DIY project for the new tank.

Check this out Johnny...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/grove-ecosystem/grove-ecosystem-grow-fresh-food-in-your-home

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

That looks like a cool setup!! I came across aquaponics doing my aquaculture degree some pretty interesting stuff. Be nice to see more fish keepers take this up.

I might have to steal your idea to make aquaponics my next project (getting close to finishing my current scape). I actually drew up some plans for a cave dwelling aquascape which would grow some strawberries floating on the surface. Might have to go back to the drawing board and see if i can (land)scape with edible emerged plants species. And hardscape a cave for underwater. Thanks you've sparked some new ideas for me!!!

Okay enough of me and my idea rambling. Looking forward to your pictures tomorrow

Regards

Jonny

So here are a few quick snaps I took. Once the in-laws leave and my other plants arrive I will do another session of planting and picture taking then it will be ready to sit back and watch (I changed the angle slightly so I can see directly up the passage from my sofa :D). My lunch break is over so I will get a plant list up after I get home from work.

Attachments

• testing.jpg
    testing.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 193
  • testing2.jpg
    testing2.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 181
  • testing3.jpg
    testing3.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
The plants I have put in so far are:

Crytocoryne parva
Echinodorus tenellus
hydrophila pinnatifida
Cryptocoryne beckettii

some really nice looking Pogostemon erectus im excited about
Taxiphylum spiky moss
Cyperus helferii
Rotala rotundifoli

*EDIT* Pogostemon erectus also

When our next plant delivery arrives im going to fill up the center of the back with Pogostemon stellatus and the front with Hemianthus callitrichoides and have some more moss fun with Fissidens fontanus :snaphappy:.

Last edited:
Looking good mate, definitely need to gets some more plants in there. Be lovely to see it grown in.

Regards

Jonny

Looking good mate, definitely need to gets some more plants in there. Be lovely to see it grown in.

Regards

Jonny

So here is the result with the remaining plants quickly placed in the scape. I got some really nice samples of Pogostemon stellatus which I am going to replace the Rotala rotundifoli on the right with (it one of my favorite plants so far).

I also added a few crypts, amicorum was the main addition as a mid-ground plant in front of the dragon stone ledge. Then obviously the Hemianthus callitrichoides which I will lay down once the in laws have left and given me my spare time back to obsess over the tank. It will be a few days until I can plant the last batch so if anyone has any positioning suggestions, they will be listen to gratefully :). Im looking forward to the Pogostemon erectus filling that black patch to the left of the passage.

I will give an update once I get the final planting done and have had a tidy :snaphappy:.

yg8IIT.jpg

gKJE76.jpg

Last edited:
I have been super busy with many things and have not had time to tend to my tank. Eventually I have got it planted with some of the originally placed plants and some cuttings from the display tank at work - Ludwigia arcuata along the back to the left of the passage and some Rotala walichi. Another cutting I got which I really like is Riccia fluitans, I have temporarily placed it on the branch at the back but I am going to do a bit of work with some mosses fissidens pheonix moss and flame taxiphylum on the wood so they may change a bit. I got a third TMC grobeam when I found the light was lacking a bit.

I have added some Corydoras habrosus, they are one of my favorite fish. I wanted something to see against the passage that is small enough to not mess up the substrate too much. I also got 8 amano shrimp, 12 cherry barbs, and 4 of my old Otocinclus. I am going to add some dwarf rainbow fish soon (Melanotaenia praecox).

Here it is at the moment. Im quite happy so far but I can't wait for it to grow in properly!

hlwqLCuAj

During the ramp down:

p3E8pvImj

p8ivNiHyj

p7rulpXkj

pbHYHmk3j

Last edited:
At what percentage are u keepin your growbeams at. And for how long? Tank looks awsome mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

At what percentage are u keepin your growbeams at. And for how long? Tank looks awsome mate

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I run three grow beams at 100% for 6 hours with an hour ramp at either side. I initially had 2 of them and my friend advised me not to run them at full power, however my first batch of plants didn't appreciate that at all, mostly P. stellatus. After discussing it with my experienced fishkeeper colleague and doing some reading I decided to get a third and to amp them up to 100%. The Pogostemon is thriving now and most other things too. The H. callitrichoides is also doing well and sending out runners. One plant that is not doing great though is the Hydrophila pinnatifida. I have my circulation pump pushing the CO2 to the front of the tank over the H. callitrichoides so maybe it is due to a lack of CO2 as the back doesnt get much flowing over it? That is not effecting the P. stellatus though.

Hmmm.....

Back