• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

First planted tank finally up and running

jonny.j

Note: If new tank or ongoing please start a Journal Instead. Thanks (Remove Note before submitting topic)

Final full tank shot:

[Replace this text with image, use the "Upload a File" button]

Title: 1st planted tank

Dimensions: 7ft 2ft by 2ft

CO2:no

Filtration:tetratec 1200 and ehiem externals

Lights:2 kessil 160 tuna sun

Photo Period: [Lights on and off] 08.00 on! 22.00 off

Fertilisation:flourish excel/potassium/iron

Substrate: eco-complete

Hardscape: branch wood and few rounded pebbles

Flora" Echinorus Argentinesis x3 Rotala Rotundifolia x4 Ludwigia Repen rubinx2 Hygrophila Polysperma Rosanvig x2 Microsorum Pteropus (java fern) on lava rock x2 Anubias x2 on driftwood Tiger Lotus bulbs x2 Sagittaria Subulata x 8 pots
Fauna:

Journal Link:

Additional photos:

[insert more images here]

Last edited:
That's a very long photoperiod.
Too long for a new setup.
Suggest cutting down to 6 - 8 hours. Especially if your ferts don't contain n.p.k, because the eco complete does not have any of the 3 most important nutrients for green plants.

Thanks for advice Darren on photoperiod" left lights on for long hours because plants was all closed when 1st put into tank! and thort they would root and settle quicker with longer photoperiod?
Not shure if my ferts contain n.p.k ? iv just got seachem exel and potassium and iron"

Plants take a few days to settle and start rooting, you don't want to bombard them with light during the first weeks- that's a recipe for algae and poor nutrition.

Youre going to need flourish nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium due to your use of excel, which will drive plant growth.
Without n.p.k, your plants will start to suffer from nutrient deficiencies.

Don't think I could put up with all the measuring and mixing and id be worried id done something wrong"

Hi Jonny, Mixing ferts is easy start of with a starter kit follow the instructions bobs you uncle its done :D

I get mine from one of the forums sponsors link. It will save you lots of money for other bits and pieces

http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/

Hi Jonny, Mixing ferts is easy start of with a starter kit follow the instructions bobs you uncle its done :D

I get mine from one of the forums sponsors link. It will save you lots of money for other bits and pieces

http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/
Thanks for the link my friend" will check this out as if its that easy and saves money" its all good :)

do you mix the dry ferts for the weekly amount you use! or can you mix in a bulk dose" and put into big bottle that'll last month or more!

I got mine from aquariumplantfood aswell,the EI starter pack, It comes with a recipe card that tells u how much to add, how much to dose, when to dose.
I would definetly recomend it for a newbie to dry ferts. (as i am).

Thanks for putting up video foxfish" really does look like childs play eaven for a thicko from Dudley like me :D the guy says use 10 ml per 50ltrs" is that the daily dose? or after 50% water change? that'll be around 150 ml for each macro/micro x3 a week" seams a lot each time!

Yes you are correct, You will be dosing 150ml every day because your tank is 750 litres.
This seems like alot, but when you by bottled ferts all you are buying is the dry ferts and a company mixing it together, putting it in a bottle and charging alot more for it.
You can add twice the ammount of scoops of everything to your mixture then dose half the ammount as it is a more concentrated mixture.
You dose each bottle every second day. This is because the ferts in the macro react with the ferts in the micro so dosing on separate days allows the plants to absorb them without reacting.
Day 1: Macro
day 2 : Micro
day 3 : macro
day 4: micro
day 5 : macro
day 6 : micro
day 7 : - No ferts and 40-50% water change.

Yes you are correct, You will be dosing 150ml every day because your tank is 750 litres.
This seems like alot, but when you by bottled ferts all you are buying is the dry ferts and a company mixing it together, putting it in a bottle and charging alot more for it.
You can add twice the ammount of scoops of everything to your mixture then dose half the ammount as it is a more concentrated mixture.
You dose each bottle every second day. This is because the ferts in the macro react with the ferts in the micro so dosing on separate days allows the plants to absorb them without reacting.
Day 1: Macro
day 2 : Micro
day 3 : macro
day 4: micro
day 5 : macro
day 6 : micro
day 7 : - No ferts and 40-50% water change.
so if I put twice as much ferts into every 500ml bottle" I can use only 75ml every other day? would you use the nitrate powder in this starter setup" as I will have big fish in my tank that really produce high loads of crap! that makes nitrates go high eneyways! Don't wont to harm my fish by putting more nitrates into tank than I need to!

Although flourish excel is a source of carbon, I don't think you need to use the full dose 'if you don't want too' as the full EI dose is based on injecting pressurised C02. I would think daily dosing of about 5ml per 50lt would be ok.

Thanks guys" iv just put a post up on pressurized co"2 as have thort of going down this route?

Back