• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ardennes Gray Stone

Cor

I'd like to start a natural tank and want to use this kind off stone: Ardenner Gray Stone

ardenner_donker_grijs_zpswo81fr1w.jpg

I've read a lot of forums but still haven't found a clear answer: can I use this in my nature scape?

This is because they are partial made out of lime/chalk (I've put them in a container of vinegar and there was a small amount of fizzing ...) I'm going to use EI and adding CO2.

Anyone with experience/ advice?

Around my area which is not far from the ardennes, is it a very common rock to find.. I'm using it already for months also on my latest non co2 tank.. :)

It's indeed a calcite and it reacts heavily if put in acid. I also researched about them and because they are very common to find in a large triangle from Ardennes - Belgium, Nortrhein Westfalen - Germany to Limburg - The Netherlands. You'll find most information about these rocks on forums from these countries. Anyway remarkably enough even if these stones are calcite i only did read positive experiences from people using them and it seems this rock is still very stable in water and not realy affecting the water quality in a drastic way.

I still did put it to the test in a planted only tank and indeed i must confirm, even after 4 weeks no water change with relatively medium to soft water pH 7 to 8, dKh 4 and dGh 4 i didn't notice any changes to these tests. After that i tested again a few times with the regular 25% water change per 2 weeks it just stays stable. In a planted tank with life stock you might do waterchanges more often.

Even did do a regular test with adding phosporic acid to lower the pH, it didn't change.. But must say, using acid the lower Ph is not for long term.. I didn't test it with long term adding Co2.
But with the regular water changes i do not expect problems here..

This is the test setup and had it running for about 5 to 6 months..
DSCN3807 (Kopie).JPG

So far in the above described intervals i didn't notice any negative effects.. And since i do regular water changes anyway there is no need to be afraid of this rock.

The acid test indeed is a good way to find out if the rock contains any kind of lime and it's also a good practice to skip these kinds of rocks if you have no means to test them for longer periode. But confirmed the test doesn't mean in particular that all to acid reacting rocks are unsuitable. Ardennes Rock certainly is suitable for non co2 aquarium use if they leach anything it's rather so slow it doesn't affect notably, maybe on a very long term without water changes.. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Cor
That's a positive message to start with!:thumbup:
But there are still some uncertainties, because I'm going to set up a high-tech cube.
And if it appears that the stones do not fit in afterall I must go tear down the whole of my scape.:thumbdown:
But I think I'll give it a try.

I tried to use them in a rock scape but for me i didn't work out, so i gave up
DSCF4982.jpg

and only used very little of them instead in a wood dominant scape..

What i do not like about this rock is, these are tumbled to get the flint like sharp edges off, 90% of the rocks have a kinda unnatural finish to them because of that tumbling process they go through. But because i gathered a nice pile and tossed the plan to make them dominate i started smashing them apart.. Hence their real name is Ardennes Break Rock.. It breaks rather easy and is relatively soft. Anyway if breaking them some crack open along side these marbled veins and some very nice shapes can come out with a much more natural look than the tumbled ones. Pick out the ones with the nicest shapes and take a very small hamer to gently round the flint sharp edges off.

You will notice if you mix little hand broken rocks together with larger tumbled ones to create scale it will look different and off like it's not the same rock.. This different look will pop out even more when submersed. Under water the dark grey fades a bit to light grey and accents the white marbled veins very intens. ANd the unatural tumbled ones will pop out directly..

Creating a nice rock scape is very difficult, Ardennes rock doesn't make it easier but even harder. I guess traveling to the Ardennes and find them in nature will provide you with much more beautiful specimens.. :)

Good luck, i realy love to see what you get out of it.. :thumbup:

Reactions: Cor
Back