• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Handmade wood furniture

Anagorn

Hi all!

For my new fish tank, I needed a suitable piece of furniture.
In this journal I wanted to show you my progress so far.
The tank is 100cm x 50cm x 50cm

Love to hear your feedback and tips!

Side view:
293aa1v.jpg

Top view:
24pmm8n.jpg

Side view (long side):
6z10lu.jpg

Wood dye applied:
zsveo5.jpg

Doors:
29gby94.jpg
5czuyd.jpg

Detailled shot of the doors (filled with sawdust and glue)
2dbkmxg.jpg

As promised; a small update!

I've moved the fish tank inside, to it's final place in our living room

b5mo1j.jpg

Progress of the hood:

2modqfm.jpg

2qwcsnp.jpg

I'm going to use my own LED lights, and to do so, I'll glue the led strips with thermal conductive double side adhesive tape to this aluminium profile.
After this, I'm going to apply epoxy to the whole hood

2chm4g9.jpg

Hi Anagorn, That's a shame :( You will have to let the wood dry out for a few weeks.

Don't fill the tank! If the stand moves and twists the tank could crack :eek:

Sorry but I don't know how long you'll have to wait for it to dry out :oops:

Don't fill the tank! If the stand moves and twists the tank could crack :eek:

Sorry but I don't know how long you'll have to wait for it to dry out :oops:

I'm not ready yet to fill the tank (fortunately)

It's inside for 4 weeks or so, hope to start with the hardscape in the upcoming two weeks.
So before I'll add water, it has dried for about 6 weeks.
And because of it is placed between two heaters, I'll think this should be enough?

The main thing is to check that the top is absolutely flat. Side to side or front to back isn't really a problem. Its when one corner, or diagonally opposite corners are out that you get twisting stress.

Your tank will hold approximatly 250l of water. That's 250kg. If there is a twist or a low corner the tank will be under extreme pressure. Have a search for broken tanks. They can sit happily for months or years and then :eek: :drowning:

The crack in the door actualy fits the construction and design very well, if you give it all an antique oil finish the crack will only accents old age. Just sand the splinters off, don't look only at the door, but look at the whole picture. I kinda like it.. :)

Only be very carefull with the hood construction you made, if that wood is goint to work it can crack your glass.

If you realy like to give it a antique finish, which imho suits best for this design.. Look up the Steel Wool Vinigar recipe.. :) very old cheap trick for old finish
https://www.google.nl/search?q=stee...hUKEwjh2rHyp6HKAhWDfnIKHa3RAEgQsAQIHg&dpr=0.9

You want to treat the hood with epoxy, but note this will give a rather hard high gloss top finish, shining like a billiart cue. I guess after you finish you'll probably want the same look for the cabinet. :) Rather expensive to use epoxy.. Using Yachtpaint/caoting is much cheaper probably even better than epoxy and easier to apply..

That's indeed a nice look! I've applied a light wood-stain to it, so all veins and detailled are still visible.

The hood is already treated with epoxy, but only the inside. This way, the shiny sides are only visible when I open the hood and I don't mind that much about that side
But nevertheless, it's a good tip! Thanks :)

I've bought two small fans to force some air circulation. They aren't as big as I thought they would be, but I still build them in. It's quite cute if you ask me :D

293fw2r.jpg

And the hood after treating it with epoxy. There are still some gaps, but I don't mind. In my old tank, the hood always had a lot of condens, I hope this get reduced in this tank

142v9kl.jpg

Handmade – They don’t make it like that anymore! The unique art in modern times, this method is a lot more labour intensive and generally associated with high end products. Countries known for their handmade furniture products include Italy, England, France and Germany. Basically, someone is creating and assembling a product by hand. There is a huge focus on care and delivering the best product – the perfect design, the right stitch, the right colour, the best material and so on.

Back